Significance of the viscous stress tensor

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
15 replies · 2K views
dRic2
Gold Member
Messages
887
Reaction score
225
Hi,

when working with NS equations the stress tensor can be written as ##\nabla \tau = - \nabla P + \nabla \tau_{v}##, where ##\tau_{v} ## is
\begin{pmatrix}
\tau_{xx} & \tau_{xy} & \tau_{xz} \\
\tau_{xy} & \tau_{yy} & \tau_{yz} \\
\tau_{zx} & \tau_{zy} & \tau_{zz}
\end{pmatrix}

This question was stuck in my mind since last years, but I used to forget to ask: what is the physical interpretation of ##\tau_{xx}##, ##\tau_{yy}##, ##\tau_{zz}##? I know where they come from "mathematically", but I don't get the difference with pressure... I thought viscous stresses could only be like ##\tau_{ij}## with ##i≠j##.

PS: Out of the blue: In a very turbulent flow is it ok to consider ##\tau_{ij} = 0## with ##i≠j##?

Thanks
Ric
 
Physics news on Phys.org
dRic2 said:
Hi,

when working with NS equations the stress tensor can be written as ##\nabla \tau = - \nabla P + \nabla \tau_{v}##, where ##\tau_{v} ## is
\begin{pmatrix}
\tau_{xx} & \tau_{xy} & \tau_{xz} \\
\tau_{xy} & \tau_{yy} & \tau_{yz} \\
\tau_{zx} & \tau_{zy} & \tau_{zz}
\end{pmatrix}

This question was stuck in my mind since last years, but I used to forget to ask: what is the physical interpretation of ##\tau_{xx}##, ##\tau_{yy}##, ##\tau_{zz}##? I know where they come from "mathematically", but I don't get the difference with pressure... I thought viscous stresses could only be like ##\tau_{ij}## with ##i≠j##.
Why do you wonder about the difference with pressure? Regarding the i,j thing, why did you think this?
PS: Out of the blue: In a very turbulent flow is it ok to consider ##\tau_{ij} = 0## with ##i≠j##?

Thanks
Ric
In turbulent flow, the time averaged values of the viscous stresses are definitely not equal to zero.
 
Chestermiller said:
Why do you wonder about the difference with pressure? Regarding the i,j thing, why did you think this?

##\tau_xx## (for example) is a normal vector respect to ##zy## surface. I thought viscous stress can only be tangent vectors (like ##\tau_{xy}##) because of Newton's law ##\tau = -\mu \frac {\partial v_x} {\partial y} ##.
 
Chestermiller said:
In turbulent flow, the time averaged values of the viscous stresses are definitely not equal to zero.
Sorry, I'm so dumb...

I don't know how I came up this...

What I really meant is: "In a turbulent flow is it ok to consider the fluctuations of ##\tau## to be zero? I mean if I average NS equations I get ##\tau = \tau_{v} + \tau_{t}## where ##\tau_{t}## is:

\begin{pmatrix}
\bar v'^2_{xx} & \bar {v'_xv'_y} & \bar {v'_xv'_z} \\
\bar v'^2_{yx} & \bar {v'^2_y} & \bar {v'_yv'_z} \\
\bar v'^2_{zx} & \bar {v'_zv'_y} & \bar {v'^2_z}
\end{pmatrix}

Is it ok to do this:

\begin{pmatrix}
\bar v'^2_{xx} & 0& 0\\
0 & \bar {v'^2_y} &0 \\
0& 0 & \bar {v'^2_z}
\end{pmatrix}

?
 
dRic2 said:
##\tau_xx## (for example) is a normal vector respect to ##zy## surface. I thought viscous stress can only be tangent vectors (like ##\tau_{xy}##) because of Newton's law ##\tau = -\mu \frac {\partial v_x} {\partial y} ##.
That's only the simplified version for a specific type of flow situation. The 3D version of the law is what is required so that law is independent of the coordinate system used by the observer. You are aware that, even for the state of stress you have indicated, if the coordinate axes were rotated, the components of the stress tensor in the new coordinate system will contain normal stresses, correct?
 
dRic2 said:
Sorry, I'm so dumb...

I don't know how I came up this...

What I really meant is: "In a turbulent flow is it ok to consider the fluctuations of ##\tau## to be zero? I mean if I average NS equations I get ##\tau = \tau_{v} + \tau_{t}## where ##\tau_{t}## is:

\begin{pmatrix}
\bar v'^2_{xx} & \bar {v'_xv'_y} & \bar {v'_xv'_z} \\
\bar v'^2_{yx} & \bar {v'^2_y} & \bar {v'_yv'_z} \\
\bar v'^2_{zx} & \bar {v'_zv'_y} & \bar {v'^2_z}
\end{pmatrix}

Is it ok to do this:

\begin{pmatrix}
\bar v'^2_{xx} & 0& 0\\
0 & \bar {v'^2_y} &0 \\
0& 0 & \bar {v'^2_z}
\end{pmatrix}

?
Sure. These are called the turbulent stresses.
 
Thanks for the quick replies, I'm in kind of a hurry now. I'll be back later/tomorrow! :)
 
Chestermiller said:
You are aware that, even for the state of stress you have indicated, if the coordinate axes were rotated, the components of the stress tensor in the new coordinate system will contain normal stresses, correct?

Do you mean something like this?
204771-39640136e6f7a29a73ce33239b091d02.jpg


I think it is clear. But it is different: here you "create" the normal components by rotating the axis. Consider a chunk of fluid flowing in rectangular pipe (so we won't bother changing coordinates). Let's set the origin of the axis in one of the corner of the pipe (no rotation). What is the meaning of ##\tau_{ii}##?

Ps: I remember the Cauchy stress tensor for a rigid (static) body has to be symmetric because of conservation of momentum. Does this apply also to viscous stress tensor?
 
Attachments
  • stresstensor.jpg
    stresstensor.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 559
Chestermiller said:
Sure. These are called the turbulent stresses.

Why ##\bar {v'_iv'_j} = 0## is reasonable ?
 
dRic2 said:
Why ##\bar {v'_iv'_j} = 0## is reasonable ?
It's not, and the average of the product of these fluctuations isn't zero.
 
dRic2 said:
Do you mean something like this?
204771-39640136e6f7a29a73ce33239b091d02.jpg


I think it is clear. But it is different: here you "create" the normal components by rotating the axis. Consider a chunk of fluid flowing in rectangular pipe (so we won't bother changing coordinates). Let's set the origin of the axis in one of the corner of the pipe (no rotation). What is the meaning of ##\tau_{ii}##?
For this flow, it is zero. If you want to see the full derivation showing why the normal components can be non-zero, see chapters 1 and 2 in Transport Phenomena by Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot
Ps: I remember the Cauchy stress tensor for a rigid (static) body has to be symmetric because of conservation of momentum. Does this apply also to viscous stress tensor?
Yes.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: dRic2
Chestermiller said:
For this flow, it is zero. If you want to see the full derivation showing why the normal components can be non-zero, see chapters 1 and 2 in Transport Phenomena by Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot

Things are coming together in my mind, thank you!
 
Chestermiller said:
It's not, and the average of the product of these fluctuations isn't zero.

I might have misunderstood your previous answer:

Chestermiller said:
Sure. These are called the turbulent stresses.

I thought it was referred to this:

dRic2 said:
Sorry, I'm so dumb...

I don't know how I came up this...

What I really meant is: "In a turbulent flow is it ok to consider the fluctuations of ##\tau## to be zero? I mean if I average NS equations I get ##\tau = \tau_{v} + \tau_{t}## where ##\tau_{t}## is:

\begin{pmatrix}
\bar v'^2_{xx} & \bar {v'_xv'_y} & \bar {v'_xv'_z} \\
\bar v'^2_{yx} & \bar {v'^2_y} & \bar {v'_yv'_z} \\
\bar v'^2_{zx} & \bar {v'_zv'_y} & \bar {v'^2_z}
\end{pmatrix}

Is it ok to do this:

\begin{pmatrix}
\bar v'^2_{xx} & 0& 0\\
0 & \bar {v'^2_y} &0 \\
0& 0 & \bar {v'^2_z}
\end{pmatrix}

?
 
dRic2 said:
I might have misunderstood your previous answer:
I thought it was referred to this:
What I meant was that all the elements of the turbulent stress tensor can be non-zero, including the shear components.
 
dRic2 said:
Sorry, I'm so dumb...

Is it ok to do this:

\begin{pmatrix}
\bar v'^2_{xx} & 0& 0\\
0 & \bar {v'^2_y} &0 \\
0& 0 & \bar {v'^2_z}
\end{pmatrix}

?

So this is generally false, right?