How can simultaneity and the constant speed of light stay coexist.

In summary, the experiment shows that due to the way it is set up, the observer on the platform sees both lightning strikes at the same time, while the train observer sees them at different times. Both observers must agree on the timing of the flashes, and if the train observer sees them simultaneously, it would contradict the platform observer's perception. This is because the train observer believes that the light from each strike travels towards them at the same speed, and to reconcile the difference in timing, they must conclude that the strikes occurred at different times in their frame. This can be compared to a scenario where an observer sees lightning strike two trees at different times, even though the light from each strike takes the same amount of time to reach them.
fa7alerr0r
Watch this video and tell me shouldn't the passenger in the train see both lightning strikes at the same time considering that light speed is perceived as the same speed no matter how fast you travel or where it comes from? Watch both these vids.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JKdqKtNPsU&feature=related

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Because of the way the experiment is set up, the observer on the platform sees the strikes at the same time, and sees the flashes reach the train observer at different times. And both observers have to agree as whether the flashes reach either observer at the same time or not.

If the train observer saw both flashes at the same time then they would see the flashes arrive at the platform observer at different times and then you would have a contradiction as the platform observer sees just the opposite.

fa7alerr0r said:
Watch this video and tell me shouldn't the passenger in the train see both lightning strikes at the same time considering that light speed is perceived as the same speed no matter how fast you travel or where it comes from? Watch both these vids.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JKdqKtNPsU&feature=related

The point is that since the train-observer does think the light from each strike traveled towards him at the same speed, the only way he can square this with the fact that the light from each strike reached him at different times is to conclude the strikes actually occurred at different times in his frame. If there are two trees on either side of me and both are exactly 50 feet away from me, and at 3:00 I see lightning strike one tree and at 4:00 I see lightning strike the other tree, there's no reason this should conflict with the idea that the light from each strike took the same time to reach me, since I can just conclude one strike happened an hour later than the other one.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How can the speed of light be constant in all reference frames?

The speed of light is a fundamental constant in the universe, meaning it does not change regardless of the observer's frame of reference. This was first proposed by Albert Einstein in his theory of special relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all non-accelerating observers. This means that the speed of light must be the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion.

2. How does the concept of simultaneity fit into the theory of special relativity?

In special relativity, simultaneity is relative and depends on the observer's frame of reference. This means that two events that are simultaneous for one observer may not be simultaneous for another observer in a different frame of reference. This concept is a fundamental part of special relativity and helps to explain the apparent differences in time measurements between observers in different reference frames.

3. Can two events occur simultaneously in different frames of reference?

No, according to the theory of special relativity, two events cannot occur simultaneously in different reference frames. This is because the concept of simultaneity is relative and depends on the observer's frame of reference. What may appear simultaneous to one observer may not be simultaneous to another observer in a different frame of reference.

4. How does the theory of special relativity account for time dilation?

The theory of special relativity predicts that time will appear to move slower for objects that are moving at high speeds relative to an observer. This is known as time dilation and is a result of the constancy of the speed of light. As an object approaches the speed of light, time will appear to slow down for that object from the perspective of an observer in a different reference frame.

5. Is the theory of special relativity applicable to all objects and situations?

The theory of special relativity is a well-established and tested theory that applies to all objects and situations in the universe. However, it is most noticeable at high speeds close to the speed of light. For everyday objects and speeds, the effects of special relativity are negligible and can be approximated using classical physics. Nevertheless, the principles of special relativity are still applicable in all cases.