1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can the length of a normal vector matter?

1. Oct 26, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

qIHY9.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Solution:

zMjwn.png

Graph:

kYSoJ.png

For part a, I understand mathematically why the value of c matters. What I don't understand is how it can possibly matter intuitively.

I get that ##\overrightarrow { \nabla } F(x_{ 0 },y_{ 0 },z_{ 0 })=(0,c,0)## and therefore, c can't be any value. My question is: how can a tangent plane possibly depend on the length of the normal vector? If the vector is normal, then the length shouldn't matter because the vector will always be normal for all values for c except 0.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2013 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You need two pieces of information to specify the plane: the normal and a point on the plane. ##c## goes into figuring out what point the plane passes through.

4. Oct 26, 2013 #3
    What are the effects on a tangent plane when you scale up and down ∇F but keep ∇F in the same direction?

5. Oct 26, 2013 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

##\nabla F## is determined by F, so you don't have the freedom to arbitrarily rescale it. If you mean what happens if you say, for example, ##\nabla F = (0, c/2, 0)## instead of ##\nabla F = (0, c, 0)##, why don't you try it and see what happens?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted