I don't know the definition of Nyquist, but I spend three years working for LeCroy, the company that made transient recorders and digital scopes. We design ADCs and we tested it in Nyquest freq. Which the input is a sine wave half the clocking freq. The reason that you can recover the full sine wave is because as long as you are just slightly off of half freq, every time you sample, you sample a slightly offset point.
Say your half clocking frequency is faster than the input frequency by 1/360. Let your first sample of the input sine wave is at 0 deg. Since you are faster by 1/360, the next sample is at 180.5 degree of the input sine wave, the next one will be on 1 degree of the sine wave. From this you see if I take 360 sample, I will have recover the whole input sine wave into 360 points. You literally "walk" along the sine wave point by point.
That is the most harsh test on an ADC, so many ADC failed. One time I tried out an ADC from Analog Devices, an 8 bit ADC and it failed, I saw missing codes all over using the Nyquist test. They were red faced.
On the ADC test, we actually take the code from the ADC and strobe it right back into a proven DAC and regenerate the analog waveform. In the Nyquist test, it looks like two sine waves in opposite phase displace on the scope. This really test the ADC because each point swing to the opposite extreme.Yes, if the event occur only one time and the width is only two clock period wide, you will not get all the detail information. You will not miss the event, but not the detail waveform. It is only through a continuous frequency input that you can recover all the information.