1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I How can we distinguish classical physics and modern physics?

1. Mar 24, 2016 #1
    How to decide whether a particular topic is studied in classical physics or modern physics?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2016 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Who cares?

4. Mar 24, 2016 #3
    What do you mean by it?

5. Mar 24, 2016 #4

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Why does it matter what classification is given to a topic?

6. Mar 24, 2016 #5

russ_watters

Typically, they are studied in an order or grouping determined by the college's plan of study, and how to classify them isn't really a relevant issue.

7. Mar 24, 2016 #6
    I actually wanted to know what are the different branches of classical physics and modern physics.

8. Mar 24, 2016 #7

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Who says classical physics can't be modern?

9. Mar 24, 2016 #8
    The term "Modern" Physics may be specific to US and Canada.
    It is more like an academic term (used as a course name in college).
    Includes mainly relativity and "quantum physics" (which may not be the same as quantum mechanics proper but rather atomic and nuclear physics). I suppose includes the physics advances made after about 1900.

10. Mar 24, 2016 #9
    Modern physics is used as the title for the first year quantum mechanics and special relativity course at some universities in the UK also.

11. Mar 24, 2016 #10

russ_watters

Ultimately, I think what the collective answers here are telling you is that these questions don't have a lot of meaning. The level of organization of topics you are suggesting you want to know about doesn't really exist.

12. Mar 25, 2016 #11
    Oh.. Okay! Thank you

13. Mar 25, 2016 #12
    Yes you are right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted