How Can You Build a 3V Battery Indicator Without a Zener Diode?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter theloathedone
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Battery Circuit
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 6K views
theloathedone
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here goes.

I'm trying to build a battery indicator circuit for 2 AA batteries (3V). So far what I've read online is that I'd need to use a Zener diode to get a fixed voltage drop, then connect it to a transistor, like the diagram here:
http://www.4qdtec.com/batty.html"

Only problem is, the smallest Zener diode is 2.4V, so the difference between the base and the emitter would be very small - 0.6 V - even when the battery is fully charged.

Will this work?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you don't get help here, try the Electrical Engineering forum. They should be able to help you there.
 
Are you looking at this schematic?

blow.gif


Typical diodes have a 0.6-0.7 V drop when forward biased, so you could use a few of those in series.
 
Yup I'm looking at that schematic, which is for a 6V battery.

Thanks Sciurus, I didn't think of that even though I have a few diodes lying around. So I guess instead of a Zener diode in reverse bias, I could just use (say 3) normal diodes in forward bias to get a 2.1V voltage drop, so the voltage difference between the base and the emitter is around 0.9 V when the battery is fully charged, and decreases as the battery is drained?