How Can You Calculate the Temperature-Dependent Heat Capacity of Ethyl Acetate?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 14K views
sicjeff
Messages
46
Reaction score
0
I need the heat capacity Ethyl Acetate as a function of temperature. I've seen books that give heat capacity as a function of functional group, but the problem is they are only at one temperature. What I basically need is some coefficients that would fit into the equation Cp= A +BT+CT^2+DT^-2. For this capacity, I can approximate Ethyl Acetate as a liquid operating from 298.15K to approximately 373.15K (I know this isn't realistic because the boiling point of ethyl acetate is around 350.25K).

I have already checked Perry's Handbook and other various thermochemical fluid properties texts, but I still can't find anything.

Thanks for any assistance you can give me.
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi sicjeff,
Can you be more specific? What pressure and what temperature range to you need?
 
Thanks for responding. I am running my reaction at temperature ranges of 298.15-373.15 K and my pressure will be in the area of 1 bar.
 
Hi sicjeff,
I have a computerized database that has these values in it, but it doesn't give equations. You can print out values and then do a curve fit though. Also, the database is in English units, so you'll need to convert to metric.

I'm assuming you mean a pressure of 1 bara, not 1 barg. If you need it for 1 barg, I can simply change the value and give you the same spreadsheet if you'd like.

At 1 bara, it shows a saturation temperature of roughly 170.85 F which is where the disjoint is in the spreadsheet.

Hope that helps.
 
Attachments
sicjeff,
I'm not sure what you're using this for, but I suspect you're working out the equation so you can integrate it and determine the change of state between two temperatures, such as by adding X amount of heat.

You might consider simply using enthalpy and internal energy directly instead. They're generally much easier to work with IMO. Coming up with an equation for U or H as a function of temperature is just as easy as Cp.
 
Actually I'm doing reaction equillibria with the extended van't Hoff equation. Thank you so very much for your assistance.

Can I get the name of the database you are using if you don't mind?
 
If we say Cp=α+βT+γT^2 and Cp=a +bT+cT^-2, combined, we get your equation Cp=A+BT+CT^2+DT^-2. (Intro. to Chemical Engineering, Pavia, pp 127)

Since I couldn’t find coefficients for your derived formula, I looked up the coefficients of Cp=α+βT+γT^2. Basically Coefficient α = 7.235; Coefficient β= 0.4072; Coefficient γ =2.092E-04. Units of Cp are in kJ/kg-mol , Temperature in Kelvins.
http://www.cheric.org/kdb/kdb/hcprop/showcoef.php?cmpid=1059&prop=CPG

You see that there is another coefficient (Coefficient D), if Cp=α+βT+γT^2 was extended to another higher power.
 
Last edited by a moderator: