How come surface integrals are single integrals in my book?

In summary: However, the more common case is that multiple integration is the most efficient way to calculate the function.In summary, the two representations of integrals over surfaces are both correct, and the single integral should be evaluated as a double integral because we have a surface area element.
Andrea94
I am currently reading Young & Freedmans textbook on physics as part of a university course, and I've noticed that they repeatedly represent surface integrals (which are double integrals) as single integrals.

For instance, they symbolically represent the magnetic flux through a surface as:
[tex]\int \vec{\textbf{B}} \cdot d\vec{\textbf{A}}[/tex]
However, I suspected that this should in fact be a double integral (since the domain of integration is a surface), and indeed on Wikipedia they write the magnetic flux through a surface as:
[tex]\iint\vec{\textbf{B}} \cdot d\vec{\textbf{A}}[/tex]

My question is, which representation is the right and why? Are they both right and we are supposed to implicitly understand that the single integral should be evaluated as a double integral since we have a surface area element?

Physics news on Phys.org
Andrea94 said:
I am currently reading Young & Freedmans textbook on physics as part of a university course, and I've noticed that they repeatedly represent surface integrals (which are double integrals) as single integrals.

For instance, they symbolically represent the magnetic flux through a surface as:
[tex]\int \vec{\textbf{B}} \cdot d\vec{\textbf{A}}[/tex]
However, I suspected that this should in fact be a double integral (since the domain of integration is a surface), and indeed on Wikipedia they write the magnetic flux through a surface as:
[tex]\iint\vec{\textbf{B}} \cdot d\vec{\textbf{A}}[/tex]

My question is, which representation is the right and why? Are they both right and we are supposed to implicitly understand that the single integral should be evaluated as a double integral since we have a surface area element?
I believe that both are correct, and that the first one you showed is an alternate notation for the second.

The wiki page on Multiple Integrals has this to say:
[PLAIN said:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_integral][/PLAIN]
If f is Riemann integrable, S is called the Riemann integral of f over T and is denoted
$$\int \dots \int_T f(x_1, x_2, \dots, x_n) dx_1 \dots dx_n$$

Frequently this notation is abbreviated as
$$\int_T f(x)d^nx$$

where x represents the n-tuple (x1, ... xn) and dnx is the n-dimensional volume differential.
In your first integral, dA is akin to d2x in the integral above. In both cases they refer to a two-dimensional area differential.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Andrea94
Mark44 said:
I believe that both are correct, and that the first one you showed is an alternate notation for the second.

The wiki page on Multiple Integrals has this to say:

In your first integral, dA is akin to d2x in the integral above. In both cases they refer to a two-dimensional area differential.

That makes sense, thanks!

Andrea94 said:
From the viewpoint of pure mathematics, the definition of a surface integral does not define such an integral as a computation involving a double integral. I suspect the rigorous definition of a surface integral is so complicated that it is rarely seen in physics texts, but usually there is some attempt in physics texts to define it without making reference to iterated integrals.

The mathematical definitions of various types of integrations over surfaces, volumes etc. does not rule out the possibility that such an integrals might mathematically exist and yet not be computable by doing multiple integration. (As a possible example, we can define what it means to integrate a function over a set in the plane, but the set might be composed of an infinite number of disconnected parts.)

Likes Andrea94

1. Why are surface integrals represented as single integrals in my book?

Surface integrals are typically represented as single integrals in textbooks because it is a more compact and efficient way of expressing the integration over a two-dimensional surface. This is often done by using the parametric equations of the surface to convert the double integral into a single integral.

2. Is there a difference between surface integrals and double integrals?

Yes, there is a difference between surface integrals and double integrals. A double integral is used to find the volume under a three-dimensional surface, while a surface integral is used to calculate the flux or flow through a two-dimensional surface. In simpler terms, a double integral involves integration over an area, while a surface integral involves integration over a surface.

3. How are surface integrals related to vector calculus?

Surface integrals are an important concept in vector calculus as they are used to calculate the flux or flow of a vector field through a two-dimensional surface. This is done by taking the dot product of the vector field with the surface normal at each point on the surface and integrating over the surface.

4. Can surface integrals only be performed on flat surfaces?

No, surface integrals can be performed on any two-dimensional surface, whether it is flat, curved, or even discontinuous. This is because the surface is divided into infinitesimal elements, and the integration is performed over each of these elements, which can accommodate for any type of surface.

5. Are there any real-world applications of surface integrals?

Yes, surface integrals have many real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and fluid mechanics. For example, they are used to calculate the flow of a fluid through a surface, the electric flux through a charged surface, and the surface area of a curved object.