How come when h2o drops on my computer screen I see

In summary: I finally understand now. In summary, the conversation discusses the phenomenon of seeing a variety of colors on a computer screen when water droplets are present. This is explained through classical optics and the composition of red-green-blue dots on the screen. The conversation also touches on the history of computer monitors, with the first ones being green and later transitioning to amber for better eye comfort.
Nano-Passion
I hope this topic belongs here, after all this is about color and color is described through quantum mechanics.

How come when water molecules drop on my computer screen I see a variety of colors (kind of like a rainbow), and those colors change depending on the angle I am observing it [itex]\vartheta[/itex]. The colors seems to repeat every couple degrees.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nano-Passion said:
I hope this topic belongs here
Classical optics is pretty sufficient to give an answer :devil:

Your screen is composed of red-green-blue dots spaced by 0.1mm or so.
Now - an excercise in classical optics - compute how it looks if viewed through a droplet: transparent, but n>1, sphere of a diameter comparable to the pixel spacing?

And behave! Don't sneeze on your screen!

(I used to open cans with beer just by computer screen in old times, when all screen pixels were amber...)

Last edited:
xts said:

Hence this thread has been moved to the classical physics forum.

xts said:

Your screen is composed of red-green-blue dots spaced by 0.1mm or so.

My screen is composed of red-green-blue dots? I want a more fundamental answer than that.

And if they are composed of red-green-blue dots then how do I get all of these colors? Spaced by .1mm or so? Something seriously isn't making sense to me. :(
And behave! Don't sneeze on your screen!

lmao, actually I have this stupid persistent water damage on my roof from the neighbors above me :(.

(I used to open cans with beer just by computer screen in old times, when all screen pixels were amber...)

Amber? :confused:

Nano-Passion said:
My screen is composed of red-green-blue dots? I want a more fundamental answer than that.
And if they are composed of red-green-blue dots then how do I get all of these colors? Spaced by .1mm or so? Something seriously isn't making sense to me. :(
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RGB_color_model

Take a simple (high-school level) excercise on geometrical optics: find what you see through helf-sphere (or full sphere) of glass or water if you look at the pattern of coloured dots.

Amber? :confused:
First computer monitors were green. In 1980's amber ones become popular - they were nicer to eyes if you had to work long time with them. Even as a student I liked comfort, so I managed to get one of the first amber VT-220 on my desk :tongue2:

xts said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RGB_color_model

Take a simple (high-school level) excercise on geometrical optics: find what you see through helf-sphere (or full sphere) of glass or water if you look at the pattern of coloured dots.

First computer monitors were green. In 1980's amber ones become popular - they were nicer to eyes if you had to work long time with them. Even as a student I liked comfort, so I managed to get one of the first amber VT-220 on my desk :tongue2:

Oh thank you.

1. Why does water create a distortion on my computer screen when it drops on it?

When water drops on your computer screen, it creates a distortion because of the surface tension of the water. The water molecules are attracted to each other, creating a cohesive force that pulls them together. This force causes the water to form into a round shape, which acts as a lens and refracts the light passing through it, causing the image on your screen to appear distorted.

2. Is the distortion caused by water drops damaging to my computer screen?

In most cases, the distortion caused by water drops on your computer screen is not damaging. However, if the water seeps into the screen or into any openings, it can cause damage to the internal components of your screen. It is best to dry the water droplets immediately to prevent any potential damage.

3. Why does the distortion appear different on different parts of the screen?

The distortion caused by water drops on your computer screen may appear different on different parts of the screen due to the varying thickness of the water droplets. Thicker droplets will create a larger distortion, while thinner droplets may not cause as much distortion. The angle at which the water droplets hit the screen can also affect the appearance of the distortion.

4. Can I prevent water droplets from causing a distortion on my computer screen?

There are a few ways to prevent water droplets from causing a distortion on your computer screen. You can use a screen protector or cover to create a barrier between the water droplets and the screen. You can also try to keep your computer away from areas where water may be present, such as near a sink or window. Lastly, be mindful of any condensation on your drink or hands before using your computer to avoid water droplets on the screen.

5. Is the distortion caused by water drops the same on all types of computer screens?

The distortion caused by water drops on computer screens may vary depending on the type of screen. For example, LCD screens may show more distortion than LED screens due to the different ways they display images. Additionally, screens with a matte finish may show less distortion than screens with a glossy finish. Overall, the distortion caused by water drops may differ, but the underlying principle of surface tension and light refraction remains the same.