1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How Competitive are Medical Physics Programs?

1. Mar 23, 2014 #1
    I still have a year left, but it's about time I worry about grad school. I am set on getting in to medical physics, but I am a little worried about my GPA.

I'm in Canada, my GPA is currently at 3.33, I am going to be doing a directed studies with a Professor next year and continue being a TA. I am also going to be the president of my university's physics club, not that it matters much.

I imagine I'll need to pick my GPA up to have any chance of getting into a medical physics masters program here in Canada?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2014 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Students that get admitted to our program typically have a 3.5 or higher, although a 3.3 is not unheard of. A lot depends on the applicant pool and of course other factors such as reference letters, research experience, etc. I think a lot of programs have cut back on enrolment I recent years too.

Make sure you put some time into investigating the specific programs you're interested in and of course do what you can to keep that GPA up.

4. Mar 24, 2014 #3
    Many programs keep track of these sorts of statistics, though they are not always shared publicly.

One example is MD Anderson, who accepts students for both M.S. and Ph.D. tracks and keeps applicant statistics for both.

Another is UW-Madison, though they only publish acceptance rates and not detailed statistics.

While competitiveness may vary somewhat between programs, medical physics as a field of graduate study is competitive across the board. The numbers in the above links might give you a rough idea of what to expect.

Good luck!

5. Mar 24, 2014 #4
    Thanks guys, it's good to know I have some sort of chance, even if it is slim at the moment. I'll have to do my best to pick up my GPA. Choppy, can I ask which program you belong to? (You can PM me if you don't want to post it)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook