How Did a Pakistani Company Scam Millions with Fake Online Universities?

• News
  • Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    University
In summary, Pakistani software and media company Axact has been raising money by selling diplomas through a network of web sites of fictitious American online universities, including: Barkley UniversityColumbiana UniversityMount Lincoln UniversityHillford UniversityGrant Town UniversityRochville Universityand...Nixon University! Is this guy revealing his sense of humor? ("I am not a crook!")
jtbell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
A Pakistani software and media company has apparently been raising money by selling diplomas through a network of web sites of fictitious American online universities, including:

Barkley University
Columbiana University
Mount Lincoln University
Hillford University
Grant Town University
Rochville University

and...

Nixon University! Is this guy revealing his sense of humor? ("I am not a crook!")

Fake Diplomas, Real Cash: Pakistani Company Axact Reaps Millions (New York Times)

Physics news on Phys.org
Fake? Hard to believe when looking a picture from one of the 'Columbiana University' pages.

slide01.jpg

Isn't that the Earth where Spock has a beard?

Likes CalcNerd, mheslep and nsaspook
Update:

Pakistani Investigators Raid Offices of Axact, Fake Diploma Company

Investigators homed in on accusations from former employees that Axact had illegally sold American government authentication to pad its profits. Local news media reported that the police had discovered State Department certificates and letterheads for some of the company’s nonexistent universities during the raid on its premises.

Why is this news? I remember being offered fake diplomas 20 years ago (and at times ever since, although my automatic spam filter seems to weed all of them out these days).

phinds said:
Why is this news? I remember being offered fake diplomas 20 years ago (and at times ever since, although my automatic spam filter seems to weed all of them out these days).

I always wanted just one good fake, there's something special saying I went to Sam Houston Institute of Technology.
http://41.media.tumblr.com/5d3b1ac553b59156dc7e6ea7553215f5/tumblr_mtal0vvUQR1s63347o1_1280.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes phinds
nsaspook said:
I always wanted just one good fake, there's something special saying I went to Sam Houston Institute of Technology.
http://41.media.tumblr.com/5d3b1ac553b59156dc7e6ea7553215f5/tumblr_mtal0vvUQR1s63347o1_1280.jpg
I like it. Thanks for posting.

I have to add this. I worked for a BIG japanese company in US with a "Fields" expert EE by the name of Dr Bill. He was the go to PhD guy in Electromagnetic fields. After about 10 years, he was discovered to be a complete fraud and vanished. I saw him five years later and after saying HI, he vanished again. (I am still waiting for Wired Magazine to contact me for the whole story)...

How much do they go for, and how fast can I get them?

The price has doubled overnight, get one soon.
(JPEG Image, 259 × 194 pixels).jpeg

nsaspook said:

I'd prefer a degree in peace studies from George W. Bush University. ;)

Czcibor said:
I'd prefer a degree in peace studies from George W. Bush University. ;)
Mirror_Archer_in_Situation_Room.jpg

I'm proud to be a member of the Terran Empire with a degree in "Peace Studies' from S.H.

Nod to the 'Spock has a beard'.

Last edited:
I thought the huge online university scam was the existence of online universities.

I had a coworker once who listed his computer science degree as being received from a university that didn't have a computer science program. Why bother with a fake degree when you can commit outright fraud? :oldeyes:

Don't US universities have the suffix .edu, rather than .com?
That could be a tell-tale hint that the websites are scams.

Related to How Did a Pakistani Company Scam Millions with Fake Online Universities?

1. What is a "huge online university scam"?

A "huge online university scam" refers to a fraudulent scheme where an online university or educational institution claims to offer legitimate degrees or certifications but does not actually provide a quality education or valid qualifications. These scams often involve deceptive marketing tactics and fake accreditation to lure unsuspecting individuals into enrolling in their programs.

2. How can I identify if an online university is a scam?

One way to identify a potential online university scam is to research the institution thoroughly. Look for reviews from other students and reputable sources, as well as accreditation from recognized organizations. Be wary of any university that offers degrees or certifications for a significantly lower cost or in a shorter amount of time than traditional universities.

3. What are the consequences of falling for a huge online university scam?

Falling for a huge online university scam can have serious consequences, both financially and professionally. Not only may you have wasted time and money on a useless degree, but your job prospects and reputation could also be negatively affected if employers discover that your qualifications are not legitimate. Additionally, some online university scams may also steal personal information, putting you at risk for identity theft.

4. Are all online universities scams?

No, not all online universities are scams. There are legitimate online universities that offer quality education and valid degrees or certifications. It is important to research and carefully evaluate an online university before enrolling to ensure its credibility and accreditation.

5. How can I protect myself from falling for a huge online university scam?

To protect yourself from falling for a huge online university scam, it is important to do thorough research on the institution before enrolling. Look for reviews from other students and check for accreditation from recognized organizations. Be cautious of any university that promises quick and cheap degrees, and always double-check their credentials. If you have any doubts about the legitimacy of an online university, it is best to avoid enrolling and look for other options.

Back