How do I calculate the distance traveled by an airplane flying into a headwind?

  • Thread starter Thread starter leroyjenkens
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Flying
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 5K views
leroyjenkens
Messages
621
Reaction score
49

Homework Statement



The velocity of an airplane flying into a headwind is given by v(t) = 30(16 - t^2) mi/hr for 0 < t < 3 hr.
How far has the airplane traveled at the instant its velocity reaches 400 mi/hr?

Assume s(0) = 0

The Attempt at a Solution



I think I would have to find the area under the graph. So basically I have a velocity time graph? So my objective is to find the area under the graph between time 0 and the time where the plane reaches 400 mi/hr.

I tried setting the velocity equation equal to 400 and solving for t, which would give me the time at which the velocity is 400 mi/hr, right? Well that didn't give me the answer that was in the book. What do you think?

Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The approach looks good. I get about 700 miles. I used integration to get the area accurately. If you would like a critique of your calc, share the details.