How Do I Calculate the Force of a Punch in Ft/lbs?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter jaywoo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Force
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 10K views
jaywoo
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I need to calculate the force of a punch for a test I'm running. I have the numbers, but it seems that I have to backwards to find my number!.

I have the force of a punch in G's given by a sensor (accelerometer)

I have Ft/s (feet per second) (high speed Camera) will have anyway by thisafternoon.

I have the mass (6lb moving "fist" on a pnumatic cylinder)

I need Ft/lbs of the punch.

Can anyone give me my formula?

Many Many thanks indeed!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Ft/lbs doesn't mean anything.
If you mean the force than F = mass 8 acceleration , you have that from the acceleromter. 1g = 9.8m/s^2 or 32ft/s^2.
Energy is force * distance, ft*lbs. Or you could get it from the kinetic energy of the fist.
Impulse is force*time.
 
what was the Accelerometer data?

Im looking to get an Accelerometer (40g) and i want to know the spec's i need so that it won't break.

thanks in advance
 
Hi
go to www.prosporttech.com[/URL] we use Herman Digital Trainers for martial Arts, American Football, Rugby and most other contact sports.

Check it out, it should give you every thing you need.

Andy
 
Last edited by a moderator: