How do I calculate the height on a ramp for a rolling ball?

  • Thread starter Thread starter sportsnh
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Height
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 11K views
sportsnh
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
I am confused as to how i solve for height in this problem. I can solve for the distance up the ramp the ball goes but not for the height above the ground.

The problem states: A steel ball has a mass of 45 grams and a diameter of 2.2 cm. The ball is moving and rolling at an initial velocity (not known) when it starts rolling up a 35 degree ramp and comes to a stop after turning 12 revolutions.

I solved for how far up the ramp the ball went by taking the 12 rev *2π rad * .011m /1 rev / 2π rad and got .132m.

I have looked at all the equations that i have but can't figure out how to solve for how high the ball goes up?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
right triangles

You have the angle of the ramp. Consider it as a right triangle--what trig relationships might relate height to distance up the ramp (which is the hypotenuse)?
 
thanks...i knew it was something very simple that i was missing