How do I calculate the potential energy of a hanging rope?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Silken
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Energy
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
Silken
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Hi everyone

Homework Statement



See picture in attachment.




Homework Equations


-


The Attempt at a Solution



well, the solution should be:

[tex]V=\rho g[(h-h_{2}) \frac {h+h_{2}} {2}+(h-h_{1}) \frac {h-h_{1}}{2}][/tex]

where rho is the density per length of the rope. I don't understand where (h+h2)/2 and (h+h1)/2 come from. When I tried to solve it, my guess for the potential energy (just for one 'side' let'say say) was: [tex]\rho g (h-h_{1})*h[/tex] but that's wrong. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks in advance
 
Attachments
  • Unbenannt.JPG
    Unbenannt.JPG
    3.6 KB · Views: 503
Physics news on Phys.org
For each side use PE = mgh were h is the position of the centre of mass of m.
 
There was a mistake in my formula:

[tex]V=\rho g[(h-h_{2}) \frac {h+h_{2}} {2}+(h-h_{1}) \frac {h+h_{1}}{2}][/tex]

Thanks for the help. You both say I shall use the center of mass on both sides. I guess that's where the 1/2 comes from. My problem is here, if I want the center of mass of one side, why do I have to add them like (h1+h)/2. I thought If I want to center of mass of the rope on one side I'd had (h-h1)/2. Where's my mistake?
 
You want the location of the center of mass measured from the ground.