How do I calculate the tension on top of a pole?

  • Thread starter Thread starter telephonedude
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Pole Tension
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
telephonedude
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
TL;DR
How do I calculate the tension of a cement block on top of a steel pole. Please bear with me, I am not that proficient with math but I am eager to learn.
Let's say I have a 1 meter steel pole with a diameter of 10 centimeters standing upright, and I have a cement block of 30 cm length and 10 cm width and an assumed weight of 5 kilograms.

If I place the cement block on top of the steel pole, assuming that neither the pole or the cement block tips how much tension would it be exerting onto the steel pole? And how much tension can the steel pole take until it starts to bend or break?
73342356_419435188747710_345217170466144256_n.jpg
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Zero. If the block is perfectly balanced, there is no tension in this situation, only compression.
 
Last edited:
Welcome to PF.
This question is best classed as a “column stability” problem.
Here the column height is 70 diameters, so it is a slender column.
There will be a small tension on one side of the column and much greater compression on the other.
It may sway like an inverted pendulum.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckling#Columns
 
Compressión will be equal to weight of cement block, doesn't it? It will be 5kg
 
JackMit said:
Compressión will be equal to weight of cement block, doesn't it? It will be 5kg
The compression at the bottom of the pole will include the weight of the solid pole.