How do I correctly move into engineering?

In summary,The gist of the conversation is that the speaker is considering leaving physics behind and going into engineering. They have found that they enjoy research more than classroomwork and feel that engineering is a more suitable career for them. They are currently planning to finish their degree and then apply to a masters program for mechanical/aerospace engineering. Academically, going for a masters degree is the easiest way to make themselves competitive, though they are worried they would not have the skills other engineers have acquired by starting their degree path early on. The only concern left is that they might not have enough experience in the engineering field.
jabberwockyj
So here is the gist of it, right now I am one semester away from graduating from Rutgers University with a Bachelor's of Science for Physics and I have found that I do not want to continue on with Physics and I feel that engineering is more of what I am looking for. I have been involved in research for the past 14 months and I just can find myself focusing enough to enjoy what I am doing or passionate enough to keep it going.
My current plan, as of right now, is to finish my degree and then apply to a masters program for mechanical/aerospace engineering. Academically it is a feasible option as I have talked with both the physics department and engineering department directors thoroughly about it and as long as I take a few extra courses I will be fine.

My end goal is to be a competitive candidate for a company looking for aerospace engineering graduates, but I am worried that I would not have the skills other engineers, who were on their degree path from the beginning. So my questions are: (1) Is going for a masters degree the easiest way to make myself competitive? (2a) Am I missing some core skills that I have passed in my time as an undergraduate? (2b) How would I go about getting any necessary missed experiences? (3) And what Graduate Programs, preferably on the east coast but I am not picky, besides Rutgers would be worth checking out? Or even just a database on available programs, because Google prefers to advertise undergraduate programs more than anything and it has become more and more annoying to search for.I want to leave this space for additional background: For my final semester at Rutgers, I was given permission to take a couple of high-level engineering courses. Here is my course list; Fluid Mechanics (3-credits), Heat Transfer(3), CAD for mech. engineers (3), Nuclei and Particles (my last senior-level course so I can graduate, 3), and some core course to finish my core requirements(3). I do not plan to add any more courses (I am already at 15 credits and only need 12 to graduate) or changing it in any way. I have considered studying abroad in the spring just for the unique opportunity, I would love some advice on that too regardless of how it applies to the engineering conversation. I also have a 3.54 GPA(4.0 scale) going into this semester.

Physics news on Phys.org
The only way you will be fully competitive with an ME or AeroE graduate is to take the whole undergraduate curriculum. That said, however, if you can narrow your career objectives a bit, you can take only the undergraduate courses that support that area. As an example from long ago, when I was in graduate school, we had a young woman come into the ME program (a very rare thing in those days!) with a BS in Math. She was interested in graduate work in Acoustics, so she took a few undergraduate courses in addition to the graduate work, and I'm sure she did well. You could do something similar, I would expect.

I'm inclined to think one of the biggest gaps you will have is the undergraduate engineering labs. The one in particular that stands out in my mind is the Mechanics of Materials lab. There is nothing quite like doing a tensile test to failure on a steel specimen, and I don't think physics students get anything quite comparable.

Likes russ_watters, berkeman and jabberwockyj
Dr.D said:
The only way you will be fully competitive with an ME or AeroE graduate is to take the whole undergraduate curriculum. That said, however, if you can narrow your career objectives a bit, you can take only the undergraduate courses that support that area.
A caveat would be that it depends on the field/job. An AE doing airfoil CFD is not going to be hindered by not having seen a tensile test, but if you are in a broader field/job or require the FE/PE you might. So depending on the exact job requirements a masters in mechE could be worth less or more than a bachelor's in mechE.

Likes jabberwockyj
russ_watters said:
A caveat would be that it depends on the field/job. An AE doing airfoil CFD is not going to be hindered by not having seen a tensile test, but if you are in a broader field/job or require the FE/PE you might. So depending on the exact job requirements a masters in mechE could be worth less or more than a bachelor's in mechE.
Yes, what is needed for a particular job always depends upon the nature of the job. But to carry russ watters' argument a step further, that same person doing CFD on an airfoil will likely need to know something about flutter (fluid-structure interaction), and for that, the mechanics of materials background is a key. There are dozens of other examples, but there is simply no way for a physics degree to be fully equivalent to an ME or AeroE degee, and vice versa.

Likes russ_watters
I wouldn’t be despondent. In my experience, companies look favorably on engineers with a physics background. With a MS in ME or Aero, you will *be* an engineer when it’s time to apply for a job.

Likes jabberwockyj

1. How do I determine which engineering field is right for me?

Choosing an engineering field can be overwhelming, but it's important to consider your interests, strengths, and career goals. Research different engineering disciplines and their job responsibilities to get a better understanding of what each field entails. You can also talk to engineers in different fields to gain insight and advice.

2. What skills do I need to have to be successful in engineering?

Engineering requires a combination of technical and soft skills. Strong math and science skills are essential, as well as critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills. Attention to detail, time management, and the ability to work in a team are also important for success in engineering.

3. Is it necessary to have a degree in engineering to work in the field?

While having a degree in engineering is typically preferred by employers, it is not always necessary. Some companies may accept candidates with a degree in a related field or relevant work experience. However, obtaining a degree in engineering can provide a strong foundation and open up more opportunities in the field.

4. How can I gain experience in engineering before entering the workforce?

There are several ways to gain experience in engineering before entering the workforce. You can participate in internships or co-op programs, which allow you to work on real projects and gain hands-on experience. You can also join engineering clubs or organizations, attend workshops and conferences, and work on personal projects to build your skills and knowledge.

5. What are some common challenges engineers face in their careers?

Some common challenges for engineers include managing time and workload, staying updated with new technologies and techniques, and balancing technical and non-technical tasks. Communication and teamwork can also be challenging, as engineers often work with diverse teams and need to effectively convey complex information. Additionally, the constantly evolving nature of the field can require engineers to continuously learn and adapt.