How do I derive a PDE for the volume flow rate of a tilting vessel?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
akin-iii
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
TL;DR
How can the phenomenon of pouring liquid from a vessel (pouring beer from a can for example) be modelled as a partial differential equation?
So the other day, I was pouring beer from a can to a mug and I obviously know the flow rate depends on the height of the beer from the bottom of the can (fluid level in the vessel), angle of tilt and I think time as well.
I was wondering how to best model the PDE to describe such a phenomenon ( tried it myself but I’m not sure I know what I’m doing) with boundary conditions such as initial and final volume after a time t and probably the volume capacity of the vessel.
Also if I could get a solution to the PDE as well?
Thank you.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The 1st thing to bear in mind is what quantities do you want to know about and to input.
This way you get a set of variables relevant for your modelling.
You could try building something simple first, then add on more complexity.