How do I determine the wretched coefficient of kinetic friction? It's impossible

In summary, a 3.40 kg block is pushed along the ceiling with a constant applied force of 85.0 N at an angle of 55.0° with the horizontal. The block accelerates to the right at 6.00 m/s2. To determine the coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and ceiling, the sum of forces in the x-direction is calculated using the equation μk = (85 cos 55)/(85 sin 55), resulting in a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.781. However, gravity was not taken into account in this calculation, so a revised calculation taking gravity into account yields a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.614.
riseofphoenix
A 3.40 kg block is pushed along the ceiling with a constant applied force of 85.0 N that acts at an angle of 55.0° with the horizontal, as in the figure below. The block accelerates to the right at 6.00 m/s2. Determine the coefficient of kinetic friction between block and ceiling.

p4-60.gif

Ugghhh so... this is what I did...

F = 85.0 N
m = 3.40 kg
a = 6.00 m/s2
fk = μkn

1) Forces in the x-direction:
F cos θ
fk (kinetic friction)

Forces in the y-direction:
F sin θ
n (normal force)

2) Sum of forces

ƩFx = F cos θ + fk = 0
ƩFy = F sin θ + n = 0
ƩFy = F sin θ + n = 0
ƩFy = n = -F sin θ

3) ƩFx = F cos θ + μkn = 0
3) ƩFx = F cos θ + μk(-F sin θ) = 0
3) ƩFx = F cos θ + μk(-F sin θ) = 0
3) ƩFx = 85 cos 55 - μk(85 sin 55) = 0
3) ƩFx = 85 cos 55 = μk(85 sin 55)
3) ƩFx = (85 cos 55)/(85 sin 55) = μk
3) ƩFx = 0.700 = μk

So I got this wrong, the answer is actually 0.781 (?)

I don't know what to do!

Physics news on Phys.org
And THEN, i tried doing this:

ƩFx = F cos θ + μkn = 6

85 cos 55 + μk(-85 sin 55) = 6
85 cos 55 - μk(85 sin 55) = 6
85 cos 55 = 6 + μk(85 sin 55)
48.75 - 6 = 69.62μk
42.75/69.62 = μk
0.614 = μk

-____-

I didn't get that answer!
Can you please show me how to get to that answer please?

Last edited:
I don't see where you've taken gravity into account. Won't it affect the normal force?

1. How do I determine the wretched coefficient of kinetic friction?

To determine the coefficient of kinetic friction, you will need to conduct an experiment. First, measure the weight of the object you will be moving. Then, place the object on a flat surface and apply a force to it in the direction you want it to move. Measure the force required to keep the object moving at a constant velocity. Finally, divide the force by the weight of the object to calculate the coefficient of kinetic friction.

2. Is it possible to accurately determine the coefficient of kinetic friction?

Yes, it is possible to accurately determine the coefficient of kinetic friction through experimentation. However, the value may vary depending on the surface, temperature, and other factors. It is important to conduct multiple trials to get an average value.

3. What is the significance of the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is a measure of the resistance between two surfaces in contact when one is in motion. It is important in determining the amount of force needed to keep an object moving at a constant velocity, and it also affects the efficiency of machines and the safety of surfaces.

4. Why is it called the "wretched" coefficient of kinetic friction?

The term "wretched" is often used to describe the coefficient of kinetic friction because it represents the amount of resistance that must be overcome to keep an object in motion. It is a difficult and often frustrating value to determine, but it is crucial in understanding the dynamics of motion and the physical world.

5. Are there any factors that can affect the accuracy of the coefficient of kinetic friction?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the accuracy of the coefficient of kinetic friction. These include the surface roughness, temperature, humidity, and the presence of any lubricants or contaminants on the surface. It is important to control these variables as much as possible during experimentation to obtain reliable results.