How do I estimate stress in a non-prismatic shape?

In summary, the conversation is about estimating the stress in a voussoir (member) of an arch bridge with non-uniform cross-sections. The suggested solution is to calculate the cross-sectional area by dividing the volume of the member by its length in the direction of the force. It is also suggested to use the contact forces and contact areas to estimate the stress. There is a section in a paper provided in a previous thread that explains in detail how to calculate all the forces and stresses in an arch bridge.
maxf11

Homework Statement

In a mathematics-based investigation, I am trying to estimate the stress through a voussoir (member) of an arch bridge. However, these members have non-uniform cross-sections. I don't need to know how to exactly calculate the stress in each part of the member, only the total stress (unless there is an easy way to do so, but judging from my research, there won't be) The force through it is known, it is just the cross-section that I need to get a reasonable estimate of. A visualisation of the problem is attached here: http://imgur.com/ZiX8JR9

Homework Equations

Stress = Force/(cross-sectional area)

The Attempt at a Solution

My idea was to take the volume of the member, and divide it by the length of the object in the direction of the force, to provide an estimate of the cross-sectional area.

Physics news on Phys.org
The applied down force is reacted by components of the contact forces between the block in question and the adjacent blocks to left and right .

Have a think about this and try to draw the free body diagram for the block .

Last edited:
Likes maxf11
I see what you mean, thanks. However, the components of the contact forces don't act perpendicular to any uniform cross-section either, so my question remains. Is there any good way to estimate the stress you could propose (e.g. finding the average stress).

For basic estimate of stress assume that the contact forces act in a direction normal to the contact surfaces and that contact stress = contact force / contact area .

There is section in one of those papers that I gave a link to in your previous thread that tells you in detail how to calculate all the forces and stresses in an arch bridge .

Last edited:

1. How do I determine the stress distribution in a non-prismatic shape?

The stress distribution in a non-prismatic shape can be determined by using the principle of superposition. This involves breaking down the shape into smaller, simpler shapes and calculating the stress distribution in each individual shape. The overall stress distribution can then be obtained by adding the stress distributions of all the smaller shapes together.

2. Can I use the same equations for stress calculations in non-prismatic shapes as I would for prismatic shapes?

No, the equations used for stress calculations in prismatic shapes assume a uniform cross-sectional area and are not applicable to non-prismatic shapes. Different methods, such as the principle of superposition, must be used for stress estimation in non-prismatic shapes.

3. How does the variation in cross-sectional area affect stress distribution in non-prismatic shapes?

The variation in cross-sectional area can significantly affect the stress distribution in a non-prismatic shape. Areas with larger cross-sections will experience lower stress, while areas with smaller cross-sections will experience higher stress. The change in cross-sectional area also affects the principle of superposition, as the stress distribution in each smaller shape will vary accordingly.

4. Are there any software programs available for estimating stress in non-prismatic shapes?

Yes, there are various software programs available that can assist with estimating stress in non-prismatic shapes. These programs use finite element analysis (FEA) to model the shape and calculate the stress distribution. However, it is important to note that these programs still require accurate input data and may not be suitable for all types of non-prismatic shapes.

5. How do I validate the accuracy of stress estimation in non-prismatic shapes?

The accuracy of stress estimation in non-prismatic shapes can be validated by comparing the results to those obtained from physical testing. It is also important to ensure that the assumptions and input data used in the estimation are reasonable and appropriate for the specific shape being analyzed.