How do I express delta as a function of epsilon in epsilon-delta proofs?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Laura1321412
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Proof
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Laura1321412
Messages
23
Reaction score
0
​

Homework Statement



Im having trouble with epsilon -delta proofs in general... I keep looking at lots of examples I am just having trouble figuring what steps to take first. My question is the lim (x,y) -- > (0,0) of x^4-y^4/ x^2+ y^2

I understand the definition of the epsilon delta proofs, i just can't wrap my brain around what to do!


Homework Equations



The Attempt at a Solution



Not much. I know i can figure out |x^4|/ x^2 +0 = |x| <= e , and then the same for the y component ... But I am not really sure why you can just let y or x =0 ? Super confused...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to show that for any value [tex]\varepsilon>0[/tex] there is a [tex]\delta[/tex] such that when the distance between (x,y) and (0,0) is smaller than [tex]\delta[/tex] the value of
[tex]|x^4-y^4/ x^2+ y^2|[/tex] is smaller than [tex]\varepsilon[/tex].
 
okay,,,

so i did

(x^2 +y ^2 ) (x^2 - y ^2) and cancelled,

so |x+y||x-y| < e

am i able to put delta, as e/|x-y| , or can i only bring real numbers back and forth between the inequality signs?
 
Your question is now:
"My question is the lim (x,y) -- > (0,0) of x^2-y^2 "

You cannot use x and y to express delta.
Whatever epsilon I give you, you need to be able to give me some delta so that whenever the distance between (x,y) and (0,0) is smaller than delta the distance between x^2-y^2 and the limit L, is smaller than epsilon. So, you better express delta as a function of epsilon, that way you will have an answer for any epsilon I might give you.