How do i find the final velocity of an object?

In summary, the car took 0.35 sec to stop, it weighs 975kg, and the force on the car during the crash was 25,000 N.
Aldo
THE VELOCITY BEFORE IT HIT THE TREE* typo
1. Homework Statement

the car took 0.35 sec to stop
it weighs 975kg
the force on the car during the crash was 25,000

The Attempt at a Solution

i think i may have found impulse but don't know how to go from there

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The car stopped at the end, which means finally it wasn't moving!

oopsies i meant before it hit the tree, small typo :O

Well knowing that the car will come to a stop, this means you know it's final velocity ##v=0##
How should you construct your flow of equations that links force to a change in velocity ##\delta v##?

i did: time x force =+ J change in momentum which is 8750 so does that mean the initial velocity is 8750?

Well, that is wrong because 8750 is just the change in momentum not the velocity.
What is momentum defined as?

8750 divided by the wight 975 would be 8.9 or so but i think that's incorrect for some reason :/

Well how I interpreted the question is taking 2 rigid objects without any elasticity in its collision.
So if the 25kN is constantly felt by the car throughout the entire period it's decelerating then its deceleration is simply ##F/m## which amounts to 25.6 ##m/s^2##
Then just using simple kinematics the initial velocity is just ##v=at## which will give the 9.0m/s

But if you're saying it's wrong then I suspect that the force given may be the total force experienced by the car throughout the course of its crash which is equivalent to its impulse. Then that'll be different.

Yet again I might be wrong, I tend to misunderstand questions so pardon me if I did so.

this is high school physics, not too complex, i think this is correct as most of the class is freshmen,its pretty easy we only use 2 equations as well. Thank You very much though!

Oh I see if that's the case I hope you understood how the solution works! Cheerio

zexxa said:
Oh I see if that's the case I hope you understood how the solution works! Cheerio
well i figured it out after i took a second look at my notes when you pointed out the definition of momentum, thanks for being so helpful :D.

1. What is the formula for calculating final velocity?

The formula for calculating final velocity is v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time elapsed.

2. How do I determine the direction of the final velocity?

The direction of the final velocity can be determined by considering the direction of the initial velocity and acceleration. If they are in the same direction, the final velocity will have the same direction. If they are in opposite directions, the final velocity will have the direction of the larger force.

3. Can final velocity be negative?

Yes, final velocity can be negative. A negative final velocity indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the initial velocity or that it is decelerating.

4. What units should be used for final velocity?

Final velocity is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h), depending on the context of the problem. It is important to use consistent units throughout the calculation.

5. How do I find the final velocity if the acceleration is changing?

If the acceleration is changing, the final velocity can be found by integrating the acceleration function with respect to time. Alternatively, you can divide the time interval into smaller intervals and calculate the final velocity for each interval using the formula v = u + at. Then, add all the final velocities to find the total final velocity.