1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I find the gradient of a 3D vector?

1. Jul 29, 2015 #1
    Let's say I have point A(2, 6, 0) and B(3, -1, -2) and wanted to find the gradient of the vector joining these two points. I know how to find the vector representing the line joining these points:

OA = 2i + 6j , OB = 3i - j - 2k

AB = AO + OB
    AB = -OA + OB
    AB = -(2i + 6j) + 3i - j - 2k
    AB = -2i - 6j + 3i - j - 2k

AB = i - 7j - 2k

But I don't know how I could find the gradient of this vector. Any help will be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2015 #2
    You can get [itex]\vec{AB}[/itex] instantly as
    [tex]\vec{AB}=\vec{OB}-\vec{OA}=(3-2)\vec{i}+(-1-6)\vec{j}+(-2-0)\vec{k}=\vec{i}-7\vec{j}-2\vec{k}[/tex]

gradient of [itex]\vec{AB}[/itex] means null vector, as [itex]\vec{AB}[/itex] is constant. Maybe you wanted the module, the norm
    [tex]||\vec{AB}||=\sqrt{1^2+(-7)^2+(-2)^2}=\sqrt{54}=3\sqrt{6}[/tex]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  4. Jul 29, 2015 #3
    Thanks for that first part, it should make things a little easier ^_^

I think I may have asked the question wrong. Let me try to rephrase it; it you have[tex]\vec{AB}[/tex], how would you find the gradient of the line AB.

5. Jul 29, 2015 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What do you mean by "the gradient" of a 3D line? A line in 2 dimensions makes a single angle with the x-axis (and its angle with the y-axis is the conjugate of that) so we can take the tangent of that angle as the single number representing its direction, its "gradient".

But a line in 3 dimensions makes three different angle with the coordinate axes, the "direction cosines" for the line (and the sum of the squares of those cosines is 1) so we cannot have a single number that tells us the direction of the line. The best we can do is take those three direction cosines as components of a 3 d vector.

In particular, while a 3D vector may be a gradient vector for a line, a 3D vector does NOT "have" a gradient.

6. Jul 30, 2015 #5
    Oh okay, thank you. If that's the case, is it possible to determine if two 3D vectors are parallel to each other or not?

7. Jul 30, 2015 #6
    Is one a scalar multiple of the other?

8. Jul 31, 2015 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

As JonnyG suggests, two vectors, in any dimension, are "parallel" if and only if one is a multiple of the other. (Sometimes the word "anti-parallel" is used if that multiple is negative.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook