How do I Find the Right Delta for an Epsilon-Delta Proof?

  • Thread starter Thread starter nietzsche
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Proof
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
nietzsche
Messages
185
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Prove that

[tex] \lim_{x \to 3} \frac{1}{x-4} = -1[/tex]

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



Given [tex]\varepsilon > 0[/tex], we want to find [tex]\delta[/tex] such that

[tex] \begin{align*}<br /> 0<|x-3|<\delta \Rightarrow |\frac{1}{x-4}+1| < \varepsilon<br /> \end{align*}<br /> \begin{align*}<br /> |\frac{1}{x-4}+1| &< \varepsilon\\<br /> |\frac{x-3}{x-4}| &< \varepsilon<br /> \end{align*}[/tex]

I always get stuck at this part! I'm never sure of how to proceed. Should I restrict the interval?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You could could restrict |x - 3| to be less than .5, which means that 2.5 < x < 3.5, and -1.5 < x - 4 < -.5, so .5 < |x - 4| < 1.5.
 
so once we get to here, using [tex]\delta_1 = \frac{1}{2}[/tex],

[tex] \begin{align*}<br /> \frac{1}{2} < |x-4| < \frac{3}{2}\\<br /> 2 > |\frac{1}{x-4}| > \frac{2}{3}<br /> \end{align*}[/tex]

and then plugging it into the epsilon formula

[tex] \begin{align*}<br /> |\frac{x-3}{x-4}| < \varepsilon\\<br /> 2|x-3| < \varepsilon\\<br /> |x-3| < \frac{\varepsilon}{2}<br /> \end{align*}[/tex]

so we take

[tex]\delta = \text{min} (\frac{1}{2}, \frac{\varepsilon}{2})[/tex]

does it seem okay?
 
sorry, i never got a response on this one, and I'm still not sure if it's right.
 
|(x-3)/(x-4)| < epsilon, |x-3| =/= 1, take delta = 1/2 --> - 1/2 < x-3 < 1/2, 5/2 < x < 3 7/2 --> -3/2 < x - 4 < -1/2 --> |x-4| > 1/2 --> |(x-3)/(x-4)| < 2|(x-3)| < epsilon


in short, delta = min(1/2 , epsilon/2)