How do I find the volume of this?

• Thread starter es91
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Volume
In summary, I am trying to find the volume generated when the graph in quadrant 1 from y=0 to y=10 is spun around the y axis. I am using the Shell Method instead. I am stuck on this one, help greatly appreciated.
es91

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the object generated when the graph in quadrant 1 from y=0 to y=10 is spun around the y axis.

Homework Equations

http://img.skitch.com/20100102-1qahghkqtbny3c1yyurmqdtr42.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to solve for x in terms of y to integrate the function.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the Shell Method instead.

Ok, so if i want to find the volume generated by revolving the figure b/w the function and the y-axis around the y-axis from y=0 to y=9.8, y(4.7)=9.2 ...Is this correct?

[(9.2)(π)(4.7)^2] - [2π*int(f(x),x,1,4.7)]

Edit: Also, if I want to find the surface area of this solid, can I use the formula 2π*int(x*ds,x,1,4.7) where ds=sqrt(1+f'(x)^2) ?

and how do I find the work required to drain water out of this solid and the rate at which the water level is rising when the solid is 1/2 full if h2o is being poured at a constant rate of 2 cm^3/s

Thank you.

Last edited:
I am still stuck on this one, help greatly appreciated.

This is my approach, take it as a suggestion:

Revolving around y-axis means the solid generated made up of a stack of round disc with [tex]r=\sqrt{x^{2}+z^{2}}[/tex] with thichness of dy.

Find the equation of r, then use r to get the area of the disc and integrate resp to y from y=1 to 10 to get the volume.

Isn't it impossible to find r?

es91 said:
Ok, so if i want to find the volume generated by revolving the figure b/w the function and the y-axis around the y-axis from y=0 to y=9.8, y(4.7)=9.2 ...

Why are you using 9.8 when the problem says y = 10?

[(9.2)(π)(4.7)^2] - [2π*int(f(x),x,1,4.7)]

What does y = 9.2 and x = 4.7 have to do with this problem?

es91 said:
Isn't it impossible to find r?

Sorry I did not see the equation on the top of the graph.

From the equation, the graph is on xy plane only, so r=x. From that you generate the equation of the area and integrate resp to y to get the volume.

For surface area use r to get the circumference, integrate resp y to get surface area.

Ok, change the 10 to a 9.2 and y(4.7)=9.2 ...

es91 said:
Ok, change the 10 to a 9.2 and y(4.7)=9.2 ...

And why is your lower limit on x = 1? That is not where the curve touches the x axis.

Sorry, it's 0.5. Is the rest correct and do you know how to do the other parts?

es91 said:
Sorry, it's 0.5. Is the rest correct and do you know how to do the other parts?

With the correct limits both your volume and surface area should work. To calculate the work done emptying the vessel, perhaps you could find the center of mass (it's on the axis of revolution) and treat the water like a point mass at that location.

I presume you are using a program like Maple of Mathematica to help with the calculations, right?

I'm in Calc. BC and have no knowledge of those programs.

es91 said:
I'm in Calc. BC and have no knowledge of those programs.

What are you using to solve where y = 0 (of which your answer is only correct to 1 decimal place? And why did you change the problem to y = 9.2 instead of y = 10? Can't you use the same process to solve for x when y = 10 that you used to solve for x when y = 0? You must be using some type of calculating device, no?

The equation was generated by fitting a curve to a series of points.

es91 said:
The equation was generated by fitting a curve to a series of points.

Now you tell us. You know, it would save everyone lots of time if you would explain the whole problem up front. And maybe tell us what you are studying that is relevant. Simpson's rule? Least squares fit? Trapezoidal rule? Polynomial interpolation? You may be asking for help on an approach that isn't even the way to do your problem.

The curve fitting was not part of the problem; I just needed to find an equation for a 3d object and now I need to solve those problems using the equation.

es91 said:
The curve fitting was not part of the problem; I just needed to find an equation for a 3d object and now I need to solve those problems using the equation.

Let's see...you have data points (which you haven't given us). Curve fitting isn't part of the problem but you gave us a curve. You need the equation of a 3d object. Any 3d object?? Does the object have anything to do with the data points? Why not just use a parabola to revolve?

Please give us a complete un-edited statement of the problem you are trying to solve and what you have tried so far. Otherwise I feel like I am wasting my time with this thread.

1. How do I find the volume of a regular shape, like a cube or cylinder?

To find the volume of a regular shape, you will need to know the dimensions of the shape. For a cube, you would use the formula V = s³, where s is the length of one side. For a cylinder, you would use the formula V = πr²h, where r is the radius and h is the height.

2. How do I find the volume of an irregular shape?

To find the volume of an irregular shape, you can use the displacement method. Place the shape in a container of water and measure the change in water level. This change in volume is equal to the volume of the irregular shape.

3. Can I use the area to find the volume of a shape?

No, the area and volume are two different measurements. The area measures the surface of a 2-dimensional shape, while the volume measures the space occupied by a 3-dimensional shape. You will need to use different formulas to find the volume of a shape.

4. How do I find the volume of a shape with different units of measurement?

If the dimensions of the shape are in different units, you will need to convert them to the same unit before finding the volume. For example, if the length is in inches and the width is in centimeters, you will need to convert one of them to the other unit before using the formula for volume.

5. Can I find the volume of a hollow shape?

Yes, you can find the volume of a hollow shape by subtracting the volume of the inner shape from the volume of the outer shape. For example, for a hollow cylinder, you would use the formula V = πr²h for the outer cylinder and V = πr²h for the inner cylinder, then subtract the latter from the former to get the volume of the hollow shape.