How do I find voltage at time t given a voltage phasor?

In summary, the problem is to find the time-domain voltage at t = 1 ms, given a voltage phasor of V = 12∠70° and a frequency of 60 Hz. After calculating V(t = 0.001) = 12 sin(120π(0.001) + 7π/18), it does not match any of the given choices. The conversation suggests trying cos() instead of sin(), which gives an answer of -0.355 (choice C). It is also noted that phasors are usually assumed to be rms values and that there is a choice of basis functions for the time domain (cosine or sine). The formula V(t) = Vmax*sin(ω
BryanDorais
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Template is shown
This is a problem from my midterm that I'm trying to understand before my final. The question is;

A voltage phasor is given by V = 12∠70° and the frequency is 60 Hz. What is the time-domain voltage at t = 1 ms?
a. 1.47 V
b. 5.11 V
c. -0.335 V
d. -4.73 V

As far as i know, the only equation relevant to this is V(t) = Vmax*sin(ωt + φ). When i plug in the values, V(t = 0.001) = 12 sin(120π(0.001) + 7π/18), i get V = 12(0.9996), which does not match any of the possible results.

What am i getting wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your math looks fine to me.

Agreed. As a sanity check, (1ms/16.7ms) * 360 degrees is 21.6 degrees, added to 70 degrees is very close to 90 degrees, so the sin() is very close to 1. So it seems like there should be an answer close to the max amplitude of 12 in the choices...

berkeman said:
Agreed. As a sanity check, (1ms/16.7ms) * 360 degrees is 21.6 degrees, added to 70 degrees is very close to 90 degrees, so the sin() is very close to 1. So it seems like there should be an answer close to the max amplitude of 12 in the choices...

Among the choices was "None of the above." I did not include that option since it was what i chose during the exam and it was marked as incorrect

BryanDorais said:
V(t) = Vmax*sin(ωt + φ).
What do you get if you use cos() instead...?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phasor
Definition
Euler's formula indicates that sinusoids can be represented mathematically as the sum of two complex-valued functions:

A ⋅ cos ⁡ ( ω t + θ ) = A ⋅ e i ( ω t + θ ) + e − i ( ω t + θ ) 2 , {\displaystyle A\cdot \cos(\omega t+\theta )=A\cdot {\frac {e^{i(\omega t+\theta )}+e^{-i(\omega t+\theta )}}{2}},}
c12165cb7062b9f952a6f6e57c2d5b824db9d54d
[a]
or as the real part of one of the functions:

A ⋅ cos ⁡ ( ω t + θ ) = Re ⁡ { A ⋅ e i ( ω t + θ ) } = Re ⁡ { A e i θ ⋅ e i ω t } . {\displaystyle {\begin{aligned}A\cdot \cos(\omega t+\theta )=\operatorname {Re} \{A\cdot e^{i(\omega t+\theta )}\}=\operatorname {Re} \{Ae^{i\theta }\cdot e^{i\omega t}\}.\end{aligned}}}
d8e3aabb83794180c031d1aa471da387ce14dd91

The function A ⋅ e i ( ω t + θ ) {\displaystyle A\cdot e^{i(\omega t+\theta )}}
274e97acfe05c8eb04b023822597bf0a1ca2ea2d
is the analytic representation of A ⋅ cos ⁡ ( ω t + θ ) . {\displaystyle A\cdot \cos(\omega t+\theta ).}
54cc1250d751b6580bd30c5e7a93d321845a5754
Figure 2 depicts it as a rotating vector in a complex plane. It is sometimes convenient to refer to the entire function as a phasor,[11] as we do in the next section. But the term phasor usually implies just the static vector , A e i θ . {\displaystyle ,Ae^{i\theta }.}
397c226ee41cb9417ce7031216b53f58561dd128
An even more compact representation of a phasor is the angle notation: A ∠ θ . {\displaystyle A\angle \theta .\,}
f9f1ad9b51782011fe9a2367c9fef311c4c9b29e
See also vector notation.

berkeman said:
What do you get if you use cos() instead...?

If i use Cosine the answer is -0.355(C). How did you know to use Cos? The only formula i have uses Sin only

A couple of points to ponder:

Phasors are usually assumed to be rms values. Time domain versions are generally peak values.

You have a choice of basis functions for the time domain, either cosine or sine. Cosine may be more common :wink:

BryanDorais said:
If i use Cosine the answer is -0.355(C). How did you know to use Cos? The only formula i have uses Sin only
It's been so long since I used them, I don't remember if there is a reason that you would choose one over the other. There is the wikipedia definition above, and it kind of makes sense to use the cos() form because you'd like the value to be on the Re axis for an argument of zero, I would think.

Thank you very much for the assistance.

Likes berkeman
BryanDorais said:

Note that you can convert between sin and cos if you're given one and need the other (my instructor likes to give us things in terms of sines, forcing us to convert to cosine):
##sin(ωt+θ)=cos(ωt+θ-\frac{π}{2})##
##cos(ωt+θ)=sin(ωt+θ+\frac{π}{2})##
(θ may be zero or negative)

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes berkeman

1. How do you calculate voltage at a specific time using a voltage phasor?

To calculate voltage at a specific time using a voltage phasor, you can use the formula V(t) = Vp * cos(ωt + φ), where Vp is the amplitude of the voltage phasor, ω is the angular frequency, t is the specific time, and φ is the phase angle of the voltage phasor.

2. Can voltage at a specific time be found without a voltage phasor?

Yes, voltage at a specific time can be found without a voltage phasor. You can use the formula V(t) = Vm * sin(ωt + θ), where Vm is the maximum voltage, ω is the angular frequency, t is the specific time, and θ is the phase angle.

3. How does the phase angle affect the voltage at a specific time?

The phase angle determines the starting point of the voltage waveform. It shifts the wave horizontally and does not affect the amplitude of the voltage at a specific time. However, it does affect the time at which the voltage reaches its peak value.

4. What is the significance of the angular frequency in calculating voltage at a specific time?

The angular frequency determines the rate at which the voltage oscillates. It is directly proportional to the frequency of the voltage waveform and inversely proportional to the time period. Therefore, it plays a crucial role in calculating voltage at a specific time.

5. Are there any practical applications of calculating voltage at a specific time using a voltage phasor?

Yes, calculating voltage at a specific time using a voltage phasor is commonly used in AC circuit analysis, especially in power systems. It helps in determining the voltage and current values at different points in time, which is crucial for understanding and designing electrical systems.