Find thevenin circuit/ phasor domain

In summary, the homework statement was to find a thevenin equivalent circuit given that iS(t)=3cos(4x10^4)t. A. to that end: -transform the circuit to the phasor domain. -apply source-transformation technique to obtain the thevenin equivalent circuit at terminals (a,b). -transform the phasor-domain thevenin circuit back to the time domain.
asdf12312

Homework Statement

obtain a thevenin equivalent circuit given that iS(t)=3cos(4x10^4)t A. to that end:
a) transform the circuit to the phasor domain.
b) apply source-transformation technique to obtain the thevenin equivalent circuit at terminals (a,b).
c) transform the phasor-domain thevenin circuit back to the time domain.

htwkf5.png

Homework Equations

Z(C) = -j/wC
Z(L) = jwL

The Attempt at a Solution

realizing that the phasor counterpart to the current was 3A, and given w=4x10^4, was able to calculate 1st the impedences of capacitor/inductor, Z(C) = -50j, and Z(L) = 40j.

combined Z(R1) + Z(L) to obtain Z1 = 25+40j
ignoring the 350/37ohm, was able to combine R2+Z(C) to obtain Z2= 35-50j

now tried node analysis, by designating V1 as the node just above the current source.
V1/Z1 + V1/Z2 - iS(t) = 0
V1/Z1 + V1/Z2 = iS(t)
V1/25+40j + V1/35-50j = 3

i could then find V(th) as V1*Z(C)/(Z(C)+R2). i haven't worked this out yet but can anyone tell me if this is the right approach?

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like it will lead you to Vth.

(V1/25 + V1/35) + j(V1/40 - V1/50)= 3
0.0686(V1)+j0.005(V1)=3
V1= 3/(0.0686+j0.005) = 3<0 / 0.0688<4.17= 43.6<-4.17deg

V(th)=(V1*Z(C))/Z2 = [43.6<-4.17 * 50<-90]/61.033<-55
=2180<-94.17/61.033<-55= 35.72<-39.17deg = 35.72 cos(wt-39.17)

i do this right?

Last edited:
prety sure the math is right, not sure if the answer is though. the problem also asked to use source trasnformation but how to turn the current into voltage source. i could bring out the capacitor but then the voltage source would have an imaginry component only. how does this work?

Something's gone awry. V1 should be closer to 150V in magnitude. Vth will be higher, too.

edit: Check how you've dealt with your node equation. The math you've used looks suspect.

asdf12312 said:
prety sure the math is right, not sure if the answer is though. the problem also asked to use source trasnformation but how to turn the current into voltage source. i could bring out the capacitor but then the voltage source would have an imaginry component only. how does this work?

Find an impedance in parallel with the current source. Convert the current source and impedance to a Thevenin equivalent.

my initial issue in applying source transorfmation was that this left me with a voltage source with two eq. impedences on each side. however, i realize that of course they would be in series then...? I'm sorry i just learn these things kinda slow. so what i did was convert the current into voltage source by bringing out the capacitor impedence, since that's the only thing tha seems to be in parallel with it. multiplying magnitudes, 3<0*50<-90 i do indeed get 150cos(wt-90) as Vs(t)=V(th). Z1 would still be 25+40j. for the new value of Z2 on the right of the new voltage source i would add the 350/37ohm, so Z2 would instead be 44.46-50j. adding together Z1 and Z2 i would get Z(eq)=69.46-10j. i still am not sure this is the right way because it seems too easy.

The capacitor is not in parallel with the current source; there's a junction in the way where two other components join. And, it's the voltage at that junction that you need to find, so best leave it alone.

Instead, look at the 25Ω + 1mH series branch. It parallels the current source.

that is what i suspected, only for some reason i assumed Z1 was in series with it. 47.17<58*3<0 = 141.51<58deg for Vs(t). also calculated Z(eq) to be 60+40j since i should leave Z(C) alone for now, and the 350/37ohm as well. then V(th)=(Vs(t)*Z(C))/(Z(eq)+Z(C))= (141.51<58*50<-90)/(60-10j)=7075.5<-32 / 60.83<-9.46= 116.32<-22.54deg

Last edited:
asdf12312 said:
that is what i suspected, only for some reason i assumed Z1 was in series with it. 47.17<58*3<0 = 173.98<58deg for Vs(t).this part is at least right?

173.98 doesn't look write for 3x47.

sorry that was a mistake on my part. edited my post.

asdf12312 said:
sorry that was a mistake on my part. edited my post.

Well, it looks much better now :smile:

1. What is a Thevenin circuit?

A Thevenin circuit is a simplified representation of a complex circuit, consisting of a voltage source in series with a resistor. It is used to simplify circuit analysis and is particularly useful for determining the behavior of a circuit at a specific point.

2. How do you find the Thevenin equivalent circuit?

The Thevenin equivalent circuit can be found by first removing the load from the original circuit and calculating the open circuit voltage. Next, the original circuit is reduced to its internal resistance by replacing all voltage sources with short circuits and all current sources with open circuits. The Thevenin voltage and resistance are then used to create the equivalent circuit.

3. What is the phasor domain?

The phasor domain is a mathematical representation of a complex signal or system in the frequency domain. It is used to analyze time-varying signals, such as AC circuits, by converting them into a complex number form where the magnitude represents the amplitude and the angle represents the phase shift.

4. How do you convert a circuit from the time domain to the phasor domain?

To convert a circuit from the time domain to the phasor domain, the circuit components (such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors) are represented by their corresponding impedance values in complex form. Then, the circuit is solved using phasor algebra, which involves multiplying the phasors of each component and adding them together to find the overall phasor voltage or current.

5. What are the advantages of using the phasor domain for circuit analysis?

The phasor domain offers several advantages for circuit analysis, including simplifying complex calculations by converting them into algebraic operations, allowing for the use of Ohm's law and other familiar circuit laws, and providing insight into the frequency response of a circuit. It also allows for the use of complex numbers and vector mathematics, making it easier to analyze AC circuits with multiple components. Additionally, it can be used to analyze circuits with time-varying signals, which is not possible in the time domain.