Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I get my saved draft back?

1. Dec 18, 2014 #1

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hey long time, no see! Where did you guys run off to? Yuk! Yuk! :oldlaugh:

I started to post a thread in the General Math forum, saved it as a draft, and returned on another computer. I don't see how to get it back, and when I try to start a new thread in that forum I get a server error. :oldsurprised:

Lil help?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2014 #2
    Tom! Great to see you back at PF! It's possible the draft is saved as a session variable or more likely as a cookie so moving computers would not bring it back. If you return to your other computer I bet it's there. Also the draft is only saved for 24h if I remember correctly. Hope you stay around for a bit!

Btw what was the server error and is it still happening?

4. Dec 18, 2014 #3

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've returned to the original computer and it's the same story. I don't see an option for retrieving the draft and when I try to start a new thread in General Math I get a message saying, "A server error occurred. Please try again later." I suppose I could just let it ride out if it's only 24 hrs.

5. Dec 18, 2014 #4
    The draft function is tied the disk icon in the editor. Usually for me it auto populates without me having to do anything. I'm at my phone atm and can check in about an hour

6. Dec 18, 2014 #5

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks. I was looking for the disk icon but it isn't there. I get what you see in the attached pic.

Attached Files:

7. Dec 18, 2014 #6
    hmmm I just tried posting a new thread in General Math and it worked.

Tom do you see this?

Attached Files:

• tom.png
      tom.png
      File size:
      2.9 KB
      Views:
  8. Dec 18, 2014 #7

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No I posted a screenshot of what I see when I try to start a new thread. Post #5.

9. Dec 18, 2014 #8
    Does that error happen for any other forum? How could you have saved a draft when you get that error? I'm a little confused.

10. Dec 18, 2014 #9
    I see the error in the logs. Can you try logging out, clearing your cache and then logging back in?

11. Dec 18, 2014 #10

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Don't know what particular "save" you're trying, but just in the reply box, there's a ghostly little "save" message that appears every x minutes in the lower rt. hand corner (just above "upload a file"). Go google, update forums, mark forums read, whatever you want, and come back to bottom of same thread, and you'll see a washed out copy of what you've done, occasionally truncated. The longest/most complete save is to go ahead and just exit to another screen, or refresh the forum page.

By the way, long time, no see.

12. Dec 19, 2014 #11

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I tried it and no dice. I also tried using a different browser on the same computer and got the same error message.

There's no reply box because there's no thread. I started typing, realized that I needed a file that's on another computer, saved my thread as a draft, went to the other computer, and then the rest went as I described in the OP. The new-fangled bells and whistles 'round here are too smart for me!

13. Dec 19, 2014 #12
    Very odd. Give me a day to work through the error.

14. Dec 19, 2014 #13

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Alrighty.

15. Dec 19, 2014 #14

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

OH MY GOD!!!!

I thought my eyes were deceiving me when I saw a new post from you. Is this real? Are you real?

Zz.

16. Dec 19, 2014 #15

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yep, it's really me! I haven't been gone so long that I forgot my password, but long enough to be bamboozled by the new features.

17. Dec 19, 2014 #16

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Hey Tom!

18. Dec 19, 2014 #17

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hmmmm...I let 24 hours go by in the hopes that that saved draft would have elapsed, but it's still got a choke hold on my thread-starting ability in General Math.

19. Dec 20, 2014 #18

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome back, Tom.

My drafts are saved automatically, so I don't even need to click the save button. Also, they do show up when I visit the same thread from a different computer. So they must be stored on the server, at least for a while.

The drafts feature is working a little too well for my taste. When I start editing a post, and then decide that my change is making things worse, I can't just cancel the edit and start over, because the next time I try to edit it, I don't see the good version of my post; I only see the version that was messed up by my previous attempt to edit it. It's not a big problem though, just a minor nuisance. I can quote myself and copy the original text from there.

20. Dec 20, 2014 #19
    Is this only happening in the General Math forum?

21. Dec 20, 2014 #20

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Looks like it. I just clicked the button to create a thread in a couple other forums and it worked. And I created this thread after saving the draft in General Math.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook