How do I integrate \frac{s^3}{(s^2 + a^2)^3} from 0 to infinity?

  • Thread starter Thread starter fluxions
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integration
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 3K views
fluxions
Messages
50
Reaction score
0
Ok, so I need to evaluate this integral: [tex]\int_0^{\infty} \frac{s^3}{(s^2 + a^2)^3} ds[/tex]
It seems evident that a substitution ought to do the trick. Let's try [itex]u = s^2 + a^2[/itex], so [itex]du = 2sds[/itex]. Hence

[tex]\int_0^{\infty} \frac{s^3}{(s^2 + a^2)^3} ds <br /> = \frac{1}{2} \int_{a^2}^{\infty} \frac{u - a^2}{u^3} du<br /> = \frac{1}{2} \int_{a^2}^{\infty} \frac{1}{u^2} - \frac{a^2}{u^3} ds<br /> = \frac{1}{2} \left(-\frac{1}{u} + \frac{1}{2} \frac{a^2}{u^2}\right)\right|_{a^2}^{\infty}<br /> = \frac{1}{2} \left(\frac{1}{a^2} - \frac{1}{2}\right)[/tex]

This isn't right. In fact I know the answer must be [itex]\frac{1}{4a^2} [/tex]. (I came acorss this integral doing Griffiths E&M problem 8.4; for physical reasons the integral MUST have the value I indicated.) Indeed that's exactly what WolframAlpha gives; see <a href="http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=int%28s^3+%2F+%28s^2+%2B+a^2%29^3+%2C+s+%3D+0..infty%29" target="_blank" class="link link--external" rel="nofollow ugc noopener">here</a>. Incindentally, WolframAlpha doesn't know what to do with this integral: [itex]\int_{a^2}^{\infty} \frac{u - a^2}{u^3} du[/itex], (which occurs after my substitution) see <a href="http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=int%28+%28u+-+a^2%29+%2F+u^2%2C+u+%3D+a^2..infty%29" target="_blank" class="link link--external" rel="nofollow ugc noopener">here</a>, which I find to be strange and amusing. What's going on here? I don't understand, and I feel rather silly that this straightforward integral is causing me problems.[/itex]
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If [itex]du = 2 s ds[/itex] then
[tex]\frac{1}{2} \frac{s^2}{u^3} (2 s ds) = \frac{1}{2} \frac{u^2 - a^2}{u^3}[/tex]
Note that this differs from your expression by a square on the u.
 
I believe you messed up your substitution in the numerator/differential. I personally would use the sub: s=atanθ. This will give you an integral that is easier to deal with, After that sub integration by parts twice should get you your answer.
 
Last edited:
[tex] \int_0^{\infty} \frac{s^3}{(s^2 + a^2)^3} ds <br /> = \frac{1}{2}\int_{a^2}^{\infty} \frac{s^2}{u^3} du<br /> = \frac{1}{2}\int_{a^2}^{\infty} \frac{u - a^2}{u^3} du[/tex]
right, since [tex]s^2 = u - a^2[/tex] by how I defined u.
 
Wow, sorry I wasn’t paying attention at all since I’m so used to squared terms in the denominator being a trig sub.

Your error is when you evaluate the integral. I get 1/2(-1/u + a^2/2u^2) evaluated at inf and a^2 which works out to your desired result.
 
JonF said:
Wow, sorry I wasn’t paying attention at all since I’m so used to squared terms in the denominator being a trig sub.

Your error is when you evaluate the integral. I get 1/2(-1/u + a^2/2u^2) evaluated at inf and a^2 which works out to your desired result.

Yes, I made a typo. I have corrected it. There is still a problem, however.
 
Isn't that the same as what fluxions wrote (apart from a typo in the second-to-last identity, where there is u instead of 1/u, but which is corrected afterwards)?

Making such stupid mistakes, I refrain from replying more, and will get some sleep :)
 
I just spotted one of the mistakes...
[tex]\left( \frac{1}{u} - \frac{1}{2} \frac{a^2}{u^2} \right)_{u = a^2} = \frac{1}{a^2} - \frac{a^2}{2 (a^2)^2} = \frac{1}{a^2} - \frac{1}{2} \frac{1}{a^2} = \frac{1}{2} \frac{1}{a^2}[/tex]

I completely overlooked that you square the square in the second term.
 
CompuChip said:
I just spotted one of the mistakes...
[tex]\left( \frac{1}{u} - \frac{1}{2} \frac{a^2}{u^2} \right)_{u = a^2} = \frac{1}{a^2} - \frac{a^2}{2 (a^2)^2} = \frac{1}{a^2} - \frac{1}{2} \frac{1}{a^2} = \frac{1}{2} \frac{1}{a^2}[/tex]

I completely overlooked that you square the square in the second term.

Indeed. Problem solved. Thanks.