How do I integrate \frac{s^3}{(s^2 + a^2)^3} from 0 to infinity?

• Thread starter fluxions
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the conversation discusses the evaluation of the integral \int_0^{\infty} \frac{s^3}{(s^2 + a^2)^3} ds and the use of a substitution u = s^2 + a^2 to simplify the integral. After making a substitution and evaluating the integral, an error is found and corrected. The conversation also mentions the different results obtained when using WolframAlpha to evaluate the original integral and the substituted integral. Ultimately, the correct answer is obtained and the conversation ends with a humorous note.
fluxions
Ok, so I need to evaluate this integral: [tex] \int_0^{\infty} \frac{s^3}{(s^2 + a^2)^3} ds [/tex]
It seems evident that a substitution ought to do the trick. Let's try [itex] u = s^2 + a^2 [/itex], so [itex] du = 2sds [/itex]. Hence

[tex] \int_0^{\infty} \frac{s^3}{(s^2 + a^2)^3} ds
= \frac{1}{2} \int_{a^2}^{\infty} \frac{u - a^2}{u^3} du
= \frac{1}{2} \int_{a^2}^{\infty} \frac{1}{u^2} - \frac{a^2}{u^3} ds
= \frac{1}{2} \left(-\frac{1}{u} + \frac{1}{2} \frac{a^2}{u^2}\right)\right|_{a^2}^{\infty}
= \frac{1}{2} \left(\frac{1}{a^2} - \frac{1}{2}\right) [/tex]

This isn't right. In fact I know the answer must be [itex] \frac{1}{4a^2} [/tex]. (I came acorss this integral doing Griffiths E&M problem 8.4; for physical reasons the integral MUST have the value I indicated.) Indeed that's exactly what WolframAlpha gives; see here. Incindentally, WolframAlpha doesn't know what to do with this integral: [itex] \int_{a^2}^{\infty} \frac{u - a^2}{u^3} du [/itex], (which occurs after my substitution) see here, which I find to be strange and amusing. What's going on here? I don't understand, and I feel rather silly that this straightforward integral is causing me problems.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If [itex]du = 2 s ds[/itex] then
[tex]\frac{1}{2} \frac{s^2}{u^3} (2 s ds) = \frac{1}{2} \frac{u^2 - a^2}{u^3}[/tex]
Note that this differs from your expression by a square on the u.

I believe you messed up your substitution in the numerator/differential. I personally would use the sub: s=atanθ. This will give you an integral that is easier to deal with, After that sub integration by parts twice should get you your answer.

Last edited:
[tex]
\int_0^{\infty} \frac{s^3}{(s^2 + a^2)^3} ds
= \frac{1}{2}\int_{a^2}^{\infty} \frac{s^2}{u^3} du
= \frac{1}{2}\int_{a^2}^{\infty} \frac{u - a^2}{u^3} du
[/tex]
right, since [tex] s^2 = u - a^2 [/tex] by how I defined u.

Wow, sorry I wasn’t paying attention at all since I’m so used to squared terms in the denominator being a trig sub.

Your error is when you evaluate the integral. I get 1/2(-1/u + a^2/2u^2) evaluated at inf and a^2 which works out to your desired result.

JonF said:
Wow, sorry I wasn’t paying attention at all since I’m so used to squared terms in the denominator being a trig sub.

Your error is when you evaluate the integral. I get 1/2(-1/u + a^2/2u^2) evaluated at inf and a^2 which works out to your desired result.

Yes, I made a typo. I have corrected it. There is still a problem, however.

Isn't that the same as what fluxions wrote (apart from a typo in the second-to-last identity, where there is u instead of 1/u, but which is corrected afterwards)?

Making such stupid mistakes, I refrain from replying more, and will get some sleep :)

I just spotted one of the mistakes...
[tex] \left( \frac{1}{u} - \frac{1}{2} \frac{a^2}{u^2} \right)_{u = a^2} = \frac{1}{a^2} - \frac{a^2}{2 (a^2)^2} = \frac{1}{a^2} - \frac{1}{2} \frac{1}{a^2} = \frac{1}{2} \frac{1}{a^2} [/tex]

I completely overlooked that you square the square in the second term.

CompuChip said:
I just spotted one of the mistakes...
[tex] \left( \frac{1}{u} - \frac{1}{2} \frac{a^2}{u^2} \right)_{u = a^2} = \frac{1}{a^2} - \frac{a^2}{2 (a^2)^2} = \frac{1}{a^2} - \frac{1}{2} \frac{1}{a^2} = \frac{1}{2} \frac{1}{a^2} [/tex]

I completely overlooked that you square the square in the second term.

Indeed. Problem solved. Thanks.

1. What is straightforward integration?

Straightforward integration refers to the process of seamlessly incorporating new data or information into an existing system or process without causing any major disruptions or complications.

2. How is straightforward integration different from other types of integration?

Straightforward integration is typically simpler and less complex compared to other types of integration, such as complex or hybrid integration. It involves integrating data or systems in a direct and straightforward manner without the need for extensive customization or complex coding.

3. What are some common challenges with straightforward integration?

One common challenge with straightforward integration is ensuring compatibility between different systems or processes. This may require the use of middleware or APIs to facilitate communication and data transfer between systems. Another challenge is managing and maintaining the integration to ensure it continues to function properly over time.

4. What are the benefits of using straightforward integration?

Straightforward integration can help organizations save time and resources by streamlining processes and eliminating the need for manual data entry or transfer. It can also improve data accuracy and consistency by reducing the risk of human error. Additionally, straightforward integration allows for faster and more efficient decision-making by providing real-time access to integrated data.

5. How can one implement straightforward integration effectively?

To implement straightforward integration effectively, it is important to thoroughly plan and assess the integration needs of the organization. This may involve identifying the systems and data that need to be integrated, determining the best approach for integration, and considering any potential challenges or risks. It is also crucial to regularly monitor and maintain the integration to ensure it continues to meet the needs of the organization.