Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I learn to use statistics for high school basketball?

1. Mar 17, 2013 #1
    I was recently made a manager of my high school's basketball team. I have been asked to look into creating a program that will allow statistics to be used in sports. I do not know much about sporting statistics, so I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out what direction to look in. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2013 #2
    I'm not familiar with sabermetrics and sports statistics, but minitab and SAS (and MS Excel's stats extension) are generally sufficient for most inferential statistics. A more sophisticated package would be better for hard core data mining. What kind of statistical tests do you want to run?

btw: the wikipedia page for apbrmetrics has some promising external links
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APBRmetrics

4. Mar 18, 2013 #3

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Perhaps your main job will be to keep accurate records and retrieve data from them. (As opposed to making statistical predictions about the next game etc.) You'll need a database program. I suggest you ask for suggestions about what program to use in the sections of the forum that deal with computers since that isn't a "math question".

5. Mar 18, 2013 #4

chiro

Science Advisor

Hey Miloslav and welcome to the forums.

On top of Stephen Tashi's advice, I would look at simple statistics like the mean and simple probabilities of winning and losing with respect to certain conditions (like against a particular team or whether they have a home advantage).

These are very simple techniques and provide a lot of information for your audience.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook