How do I manipulate this to the form desired?

• Thread starter shreddinglicks
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Form
In summary, the conversation discusses manipulating an equation to a desired form, specifically using the approximation ##\ln(1+a) \approx a## which is valid when ##a## is small. The conversation also mentions using other rules about logs to simplify the equation.
shreddinglicks

Homework Statement

I want to manipulate an equation to suit a desired form.

Homework Equations

##(-h^2/2uc)*(dp/dx)*ln((1+c*(x/h)^2)/(1+c))##

becomes

##-(h^2/2u)*(dp/dx)*(1-(x/h)^2)##

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea, I'm not even sure how the natural log disappears. [/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
shreddinglicks said:

Homework Statement

I want to manipulate an equation to suit a desired form.

Homework Equations

##(-h^2/2uc)*(dp/dx)*ln((1+c*(x/h)^2)/(1+c))##

becomes

##-(h^2/2u)*(dp/dx)*(1-(x/h)^2)##

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea, I'm not even sure how the natural log disappears. [/B]

They are using the approximation ##\ln(1+a) \approx a## valid when ##a## is small. Try that along with other rules about logs.

Dick said:
They are using the approximation ##\ln(1+a) \approx a## valid when ##a## is small. Try that along with other rules about logs.

I see:

Use ##ln(x/y) = ln(x) - ln(y)##

The rest is simple.

Is there a link to somewhere online showing that approximation you gave? Just curious.

shreddinglicks said:
Is there a link to somewhere online showing that approximation you gave? Just curious.

I don't know any good links. But approximations like this generally come from taking the first terms of the Taylor series. ##\ln(1+x)=x-
\frac{x^2}{2}+\frac{x^3}{3}-\frac{x^4}{4}+\ldots## Keeping just the first term gives the approximation. Similarly, ##\sin(x) \approx x## etc.

Dick said:
I don't know any good links. But approximations like this generally come from taking the first terms of the Taylor series. ##\ln(1+x)=x-
\frac{x^2}{2}+\frac{x^3}{3}-\frac{x^4}{4}+\ldots## Keeping just the first term gives the approximation. Similarly, ##\sin(x) \approx x## etc.

Thanks.

1. How do I manipulate the data to the desired form?

To manipulate data, you can use various tools such as statistical software, coding languages like Python or R, or spreadsheet programs like Excel. These tools allow you to perform operations such as sorting, filtering, and transforming data to achieve the desired form.

2. What techniques can I use to manipulate data?

Some common techniques for data manipulation include data cleaning, data aggregation, data merging, and data reshaping. These techniques involve identifying and correcting errors, combining data from multiple sources, and restructuring data to make it more suitable for analysis.

3. How do I know which form is best for my data?

The best form for your data will depend on the type of data and the analysis you want to perform. For example, if you have a large dataset with many variables, it may be beneficial to transform it into a tidy format for easier analysis. It is important to consider the purpose of your analysis and the structure of your data when deciding on the desired form.

4. Can I manipulate data without changing the original dataset?

Yes, most data manipulation techniques allow you to create new datasets without altering the original data. This is important for maintaining the integrity of your data and being able to reproduce your results.

5. Are there any limitations to data manipulation?

While data manipulation can be a powerful tool for preparing data for analysis, there are some limitations to consider. For example, manipulating data can be time-consuming and may require a certain level of technical expertise. Additionally, some techniques may not be suitable for certain types of data, such as non-numerical data or data with missing values.