How do I solve this multiple integral in the given domain?

In summary, the problem is that the limits for ##\theta## and ##\phi## cannot be found using spherical coordinates, but they can be found using cylindrical coordinates.
Aner

Homework Statement

Hi, I have a problem with the following exercise.
Let C={(x,y,z)∈ℝ3 : x2+y2+z2≤1, z≥√(3x2+8y2)} be a subset of ℝ3. Calculate ∫∫∫C z dxdydz.

Homework Equations

Spherical coordinates, given by x=ρsinΦcosθ, y=ρsinΦsinθ, z=ρcosΦ, and cylindrical coordinates which are x=ρcosα, y=ρsinα, z=z

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem is that, starting from the set C I believe that √(3x2+8y2)≤z≤√(1-x2-y2) so that I should integrate the "∫zdz part" between these two extremes. But when it comes to the conditions on x and y I don't know how to proceed further. I tried to use spherical coordinates so that the first condition becomes ρ2≤1 but then the second one becomes cos(Φ)≥√(3sin2(Φ)cos2(θ)+8sin2(Φ)sin2(θ)) which is worse than the original condition. I also tried to use cylindrical coordinates so that even though the first condition does not improve much the second one becomes z2≥3ρ2cos2(α)+8ρ2sin2(α), which is better than the one I obtained using spherical coordinates, but even so I didn't go very far. Obviously there is some idea I am missing, what is in your opinion the best way to go on?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are right about using spherical co-ordinates. Applying the transformation will yield ##0 \leq \rho \leq 1## as you have found already.

The limits for ##\theta## can be found by using your imagination. Are you integrating over a full ##2 \pi## or only half of that? If you sketch the region, it will be clear what the limits for ##\theta## are.

As for ##\phi##, you have the right idea, but you seem to have stopped mid-computation. Once you get here:

$$\cos( \phi ) \geq \sqrt{3 \cos^2( \theta ) \sin^2( \phi ) + 8 \sin^2( \theta ) \sin^2( \phi )}$$

Factor out ##\sin^2( \phi )## to obtain:

$$\cot( \phi ) \geq \sqrt{3 \cos^2( \theta ) + 8 \sin^2( \theta )}$$

Likes Aner
Aner said:

Homework Statement

Hi, I have a problem with the following exercise.
Let C={(x,y,z)∈ℝ3 : x2+y2+z2≤1, z≥√(3x2+8y2)} be a subset of ℝ3. Calculate ∫∫∫C z dxdydz.

Homework Equations

Spherical coordinates, given by x=ρsinΦcosθ, y=ρsinΦsinθ, z=ρcosΦ, and cylindrical coordinates which are x=ρcosα, y=ρsinα, z=z

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem is that, starting from the set C I believe that √(3x2+8y2)≤z≤√(1-x2-y2) so that I should integrate the "∫zdz part" between these two extremes. But when it comes to the conditions on x and y I don't know how to proceed further. I tried to use spherical coordinates so that the first condition becomes ρ2≤1 but then the second one becomes cos(Φ)≥√(3sin2(Φ)cos2(θ)+8sin2(Φ)sin2(θ)) which is worse than the original condition. I also tried to use cylindrical coordinates so that even though the first condition does not improve much the second one becomes z2≥3ρ2cos2(α)+8ρ2sin2(α), which is better than the one I obtained using spherical coordinates, but even so I didn't go very far. Obviously there is some idea I am missing, what is in your opinion the best way to go on?

Personally, I would not use cylindrcal or spherical coordinates; I would first just attempt to determine the ##(x,y)## region ##R_{xy}##, which is the region where ##\sqrt{1-x^2-y^2} \geq \sqrt{3x^2+8y^2}. ##
Then I would do the integral
[tex] \int \! \int_{R_{xy}} \left( \int_{\sqrt{3x^2+8y^2}}^{\sqrt{1-x^2-y^2}} z \, dz \right) \, dx dy .[/tex]

Likes Aner
Ray Vickson said:
Personally, I would not use cylindrcal or spherical coordinates; I would first just attempt to determine the ##(x,y)## region ##R_{xy}##, which is the region where ##\sqrt{1-x^2-y^2} \geq \sqrt{3x^2+8y^2}. ##
Then I would do the integral
[tex] \int \! \int_{R_{xy}} \left( \int_{\sqrt{3x^2+8y^2}}^{\sqrt{1-x^2-y^2}} z \, dz \right) \, dx dy .[/tex]

This way is nice too because you can switch over to polar co-ordinates once you obtain an ##xy## integral.

Likes Aner
Thank you very much! I will try to use both the approaches. I didn't go further with the calculations of the second conditions using spherical coordinates because I didn't understand how to use that condition but now I understand that I needed your last passage, and I didn't really thought that I could switch to spherical coordinates midway through the integration. I will try to solve the integral and when I'm done I will post my solution here

Related to How do I solve this multiple integral in the given domain?

1. What is a multiple integral in a domain?

A multiple integral in a domain is a type of integral that involves calculating the area, volume, or hypervolume of a region in a multi-dimensional space. It is used in many areas of mathematics and physics to solve problems involving multiple variables.

2. How is a multiple integral in a domain different from a single integral?

A multiple integral in a domain differs from a single integral in that it involves integrating over multiple variables instead of just one. This allows for the calculation of volumes and areas in higher dimensions, which cannot be done with a single integral.

3. What is the process for calculating a multiple integral in a domain?

The process for calculating a multiple integral in a domain involves breaking down the region into smaller, simpler shapes (such as rectangles or triangles), setting up the integral in terms of these shapes, and then evaluating the integral using appropriate techniques (such as the Riemann sum or the change of variables method).

4. What are the applications of multiple integrals in a domain?

Multiple integrals in a domain have many applications in mathematics and physics. They are used to calculate volumes and areas in higher dimensions, to solve optimization problems, to calculate probabilities in statistics, and to model physical phenomena such as fluid flow and electric fields.

5. What is the significance of the domain in a multiple integral?

The domain in a multiple integral is the region over which the integration is being performed. It determines the limits of integration and the shape of the region being integrated. Choosing the appropriate domain is crucial for correctly solving a multiple integral and obtaining meaningful results.