Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I turn my email address into an image?

1. Sep 19, 2009 #1
    I started to receive a lot of spam recently from my computer site and a friend suggested me that is because I have my email address listed in plain text on my contact page, and that I should turn it into an image instead. How do I turn my email address into an image?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2009 #2

DavidSnider

Gold Member

Re: hello!

A common trick that people use is to put something like NO.SPAM.name@address.com so that the bots pick up an incorrect address and humans generally know what to do with it.

4. Sep 21, 2009 #3

someone suggested me a better way, I placed a contact form from www.contactmeform.com[/URL] instead it was completely free.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  5. Nov 12, 2009 #4

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The simplest thing would be to use the Print Screen button while you have your address displayed. That will put it in your clipboard so that you can paste it into MSPaint or something like that. Crop the image to size and save it. The default .bmp type file in Microsoft Paint are larger than .gif or .jpg files so, I would save it as one of those instead.

6. Nov 16, 2009 #5

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

The even simpler way of doing it is to type your e-mail address in Paint (using the text tool), crop as you see fit, and then save it with whatever image extension you'd prefer (.JPG, .GIF, stay away from .BMP because it produces large file sizes)

There are also obfuscatory methods that 'hides' the plain text behind ASCII codes and Javascript, but I don't know their efficacy, or whether Spammers have figured out ways around that (Google for e-mail obfuscator). For instance:
    http://www.albionresearch.com/misc/obfuscator.php

7. Nov 17, 2009 #6

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, that's simpler. I forgot that you could type in there. :smile:
    Definitely stay away from .bmp.

8. Nov 17, 2009 #7

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Milk has already been spilled - at this point your address is obviously already listed in spammers email databases so changing it to picture won't help much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook