How do I use Gauss-Jordan Elimination to solve a system of linear equations?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Random-Hero-
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Elimination
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Random-Hero-
Messages
40
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



How would I solve this using Gauss-Jordan Elimination?

x - 2y + 3z = 0
x + y - z = 4
2x - 4y + 6z = 5

which I think becomes:

1 -2 3 | 0
1 -1 -1 | 4
2 -4 6 | 5

But I'm confused as to the process to achieve the answer. :S
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You have a mistake in the middle row. It should be 1 1 -1 4. As for solving the system, I assume that you have a book that describes the method of Gauss-Jordan elimination (if not, Wikipedia has an article, as always). It's straight-foward and mechanical, no tricks.