Gaussian Elimination: Solving Homework Problem

In summary: Since you have 3 equations in 4 unknowns, you can express solutions in many ways. You can solve for (x,y,z) in terms of w (to get x = -9/2+3/2*w, y = 17-2*w, z = 34), or you can solve for (x,z,w) in terms of y or for (y,z,w) in terms of x. (However, if you try to solve for (x,y,w) in terms of z you will find that something goes wrong, so you cannot do that).
Physicaa

Homework Statement

I started with the following equations :

3w+2x+3y+z=76
w+2x+2y+z=59
w/2+x+y+z/4=21

Homework Equations

Gaussian elimination

The Attempt at a Solution

So I got the following after applying Gauss' method :

3w+2x+3y+z=76

-4x-3y-2z=-101

3/2z=51
which gives z=34

Then I get y=11-(4/3)x

w=3+2/3x

Does it make any sense ? I compared it with wolfram and it seems like the only good thing that I got was the z=34...

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to show your work. If all you do is post the wrong answer you got at the end, the best we can say is that you messed up somewhere.

Physicaa said:

Homework Statement

3w+2x+3y+z=76
w+2x+2y+z=59
w/2+x+y+z/4=21

Homework Equations

Gaussian elimination

So I got the following after applying Gauss' method :

3w+2x+3y+z=76

-4x-3y-2z=-101

3/2z=51
which gives z=34

Then I get y=11-(4/3)x

w=3+2/3x

Does it make any sense ? I compared it with wolfram and it seems like the only good thing that I got was the z=34...
Why do you think your solution is wrong?
Dit you try to substitute what you found for w,y,z in the three equations to check if they add up?

Physicaa said:
I think it's wrong because wolfram gives me something different.

Here : http://www.wolframalpha.com/widgets/view.jsp?id=ae438682ce61743f90d4693c497621b7

Try this and see. The only good thing that I get is 34.
That link doesn't show any equation or solution.
Forget Wolfram for a moment, just try your solution: check if it fits the three equations.

EDIT: I copy pasted the equations in the link you gave and got this result:
wolframgauss.jpg

Is this wat Wolfram told you? If so, how does this compare to your solution?

Samy_A said:
That link doesn't show any equation or solution.
Forget Wolfram for a moment, just try your solution: check if it fits the three equations.

EDIT: I copy pasted the equations in the link you gave and got this result:
View attachment 95963

Is this wat Wolfram told you? If so, how does this compare to your solution?
Ok so I am going to compute the following equations z=34, y=11-4/3x w=3+2/3x, x=33/4-3/4y

Physicaa said:
Ok so I am going to compute the following equations z=34, y=11-4/3x w=3+2/3x, x=33/4-3/4y
Now you are turning in circles: y in terms of x, x in terms of y: that doesn't make much sense.

Your solution was:
##w=3+\frac{2}{3}x##
##y=11-\frac{4}{3}x##
##z=34##
Plug these values in the equations and see if it all adds up or not.

Samy_A said:
Now you are turning in circles: y in terms of x, x in terms of y: that doesn't make much sense.

Your solution was:
##w=3+\frac{2}{3}x##
##y=11-\frac{4}{3}x##
##z=34##
Plug these values in the equations and see if it all adds up or not.
I was finally able to make the equations be true by pluggin these equations :

z=34, y=t, x=(33-3t)/4 , w=(17-t)/2

It seems to work with these.

Physicaa said:
I was finally able to make the equations be true by pluggin these equations :

z=34, y=t, x=(33-3t)/4 , w=(17-t)/2

It seems to work with these.
Your first solution was correct (you should have checked). This one is correct (although I don't see why you need t and don't just use y). The one from Wolfram is also correct.
You can express w and y in terms of x, as you did in the first post. Or x and w in terms of y, as you do here. Wolfram gave x and y in terms of w.

Likes Physicaa
Physicaa said:

Homework Statement

3w+2x+3y+z=76
w+2x+2y+z=59
w/2+x+y+z/4=21

Homework Equations

Gaussian elimination

So I got the following after applying Gauss' method :i

3w+2x+3y+z=76

-4x-3y-2z=-101

3/2z=51
which gives z=34

Then I get y=11-(4/3)x

w=3+2/3x

Since you have 3 equations in 4 unknowns, you can express solutions in many ways. You can solve for (x,y,z) in terms of w (to get x = -9/2+3/2*w, y = 17-2*w, z = 34), or you can solve for (x,z,w) in terms of y or for (y,z,w) in terms of x. (However, if you try to solve for (x,y,w) in terms of z you will find that something goes wrong, so you cannot do it!)

1. What is Gaussian Elimination and how does it work?

Gaussian Elimination is a method for solving systems of linear equations. It works by systematically eliminating variables from the equations until only one variable remains in each equation, making it easier to solve for the remaining variables.

2. When should I use Gaussian Elimination to solve a homework problem?

Gaussian Elimination is typically used when there are more than two equations and more than two variables in a system of linear equations. It is also useful when the equations are in standard form (with all variables on the left side and constants on the right side).

3. What are the steps for solving a homework problem using Gaussian Elimination?

The basic steps for Gaussian Elimination are:

• Set up the equations in standard form
  • Choose a variable to eliminate and use row operations to eliminate it in all other equations
  • Repeat the previous step until only one variable remains in each equation
  • Solve for the remaining variables using back substitution

4. Can Gaussian Elimination be used for systems of equations with non-numeric coefficients?

Yes, Gaussian Elimination can be used for systems of equations with non-numeric coefficients, such as variables or fractions. However, it may require additional steps and calculations depending on the complexity of the coefficients.

5. What is the significance of the row-echelon form in Gaussian Elimination?

The row-echelon form is a key intermediate step in Gaussian Elimination. It is the point where all variables have been eliminated except for one in each equation, making it easier to solve for the remaining variables. This form also reveals important information about the solution, such as whether the system is consistent or inconsistent.