1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I use the midpoint rule to approx integral sin(sqrt(x)) from 0 to 40

1. Nov 29, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have to approximate the integral of sin(sqrt(x)) from 0 to 40, with n=4, using the midpoint rule.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I found delta x to be 10, obviously, since I have to approximate from 0 to 40 using 4 large rectangles. I am having trouble finding f(.5(x(of i-1)+x(of i)))). I don't really even know where to start!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2011 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Don't get lost in the subscripts. You have four intervals. What are their midpoints? Just list their x values. They are the four points where you evaluate the function.

4. Nov 29, 2011 #3
    Ok, so I dropped the formula and just tried to think it through myself. It makes sense in my mind that the first midpoint is f(1/2), the next is f(3/2), then f(5/2), etc. So in terms of i in sigma notation (if i=0 and the upper limit is 40), it should be f(i+(1/2))(10), right? But somehow I am still getting the wrong answer..

5. Nov 29, 2011 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you have 4 equal intervals on [0,40] your partition points presumably are 0,10,20,30,40. Do you think 1/2 is the mid point of [0,10]? And you don't have a sum up to 40, there are only 4 intervals.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook