How Do Magnetic and Gravitational Forces Affect Electron Acceleration?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the acceleration of an electron in a television tube, given its known kinetic energy and the Earth's magnetic field. The process involves setting the total force equal to the combination of the magnetic and gravitational forces, and then finding the acceleration from that total force.
j91621
Acceleration of electron??

Please atleast help me by explaining what I should do. I have found velocity by setting kenetic energy to .5mv^2 and used the mass of an electron for the mass and found that velocity is 6.182. Next i set mass x gravity=qvbsin(theta) and apparently whatever i did from here is wrong. Thanks for your help.

The electrons in the beam of a television tube have a kinetic energy of 2.10 10-15 J. Initially, the electrons move horizontally from west to east. The vertical component of the Earth's magnetic field points down, toward the surface of the earth, and has a magnitude of 1.00 10-5 T.
What is the acceleration of an electron in part (a)?

Physics news on Phys.org
The electrons are initially moving perpendicularly to the field - so sin(theta) = 1. Is that what you did and you still got the wrong answer?

j916 - I didn't realize what you were doing the first time. There are two forces at play here - the magnetic and the graviational - what you want to do is set the total force equal to the combination of both of them, and then find the acceleration from that total force.

1. What is the definition of acceleration of an electron?

The acceleration of an electron refers to the rate of change of its velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is acceleration of an electron measured?

The acceleration of an electron can be measured using a variety of methods, including using electric and magnetic fields to manipulate the electron's path and measuring the resulting change in velocity.

3. What factors affect the acceleration of an electron?

The acceleration of an electron can be affected by several factors, such as the strength of the electric or magnetic field it is exposed to, the distance it travels, and the initial velocity of the electron.

4. What are some real-life applications of the acceleration of an electron?

The acceleration of an electron has many practical applications, including in electronic devices such as TVs and computers, particle accelerators used in scientific research, and in medical imaging techniques like X-rays.

5. How does the acceleration of an electron contribute to electricity?

The acceleration of electrons is responsible for the flow of electricity. When an electric field is applied, it accelerates electrons in a conductor, creating a flow of charge and allowing for the transfer of electricity. This is the basis of many electrical devices and technologies.