Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical How do muscles function?

1. Apr 19, 2009 #1
    How do muscles work?
    On a very through level.
    I already know about fast/slow twitch muscles, fibers, and how muscles use oxygen, etc... But I am more interested in the chemical workings.
    More so what chemical reacts with the nerves to give the muscle movement/ energy for movement
    Also, can this effect be created in a lab using synthetic muscle.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2009 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'd recommend starting out by reading about it in an upper level physiology textbook, such as Berne & Levy or Guyton. That should help you focus your questions to something we could help you answer here. As it is, your question is too broad to answer in a forum post since you're asking for a complete lesson on muscle physiology.

4. May 4, 2009 #3
    I agree with Moonbear- the best place to look is in a good textbook.
    However, what do you mean by this?

"More so what chemical reacts with the nerves to give the muscle movement/ energy for movement."

Nerves do not provide energy. They stimulate the reaction to occur. The energy is already in the muscle supplied in the form of glucose in the blood.

The motor neurone recieves a chemical signal from the spinal cord. This instruction is then sent down the axon as an electrical action potential, and when it reaches the neuromuscular junction, it stimulates a neurotransmitter to be secreted into the synapse, which is then in turn detected by the muscle as an instruction to contract. If you're asking what this neurotransmitter is called, I think it is Acetylcholine.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook