How Do Tension and Distance Affect Pulse Travel Time in a Stretched Cord?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 5K views
astro_kat
Messages
28
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


a cord of mass 0.65 Kg is stretched between two supports 28 m apart, The tension of the cord is 150 N, how long will it take a pulse to go from one end to the other?


Homework Equations


ok, so I really know is: speed of wave=frequency*wavelength...


The Attempt at a Solution


I really have no clue, I know the distance, with the speed I can solve for frequency, but I don't know how to find time elapsed... can anyone help me, I have no clue how to use tension in this problem!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
the speed of a wave traveling through the string would be

[tex]v=\sqrt{\frac{T}{\mu}}[/tex]

where [itex]\mu[/itex] is the mass per unit length
 
oh, cool, yeah i remember seeing that equation somewhere before... right so:
v= (150/(0.65Kg/28m))^.5

take that number, given the length of the cord I can solve for time