How do we get from one step to another in these factorial equations?

• Thread starter homeworkhelpls
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Factorial
In summary, this is the answer, but I don't get why k factorial multiplies the bracket, what i did was k factorial divided by the bracket.
homeworkhelpls
Homework Statement
confused about this
Relevant Equations
none
1667770857166.png

this is the answer, but i don't get why k factorial multiplies the bracket, what i did was k factorial divided by the bracket

Physics news on Phys.org
homeworkhelpls said:
this is the answer
What's the question ?

##\ ##

find n in terms of k

BvU said:
What's the question ?

##\ ##
1667771752852.png

homeworkhelpls said:
It's still not clear as to just what is puzzling you about this problem - or it's solution.

Do you not understand where the following comes from?
##\displaystyle (n-k-1)! (k+1)!=(n-k)!k! ##

or - Do you not understand either of the following?
##\displaystyle (k+1)!=k! \, (k+1)##

##\displaystyle (n-k)!= (n-k-1)!\,(n-k)##

or - Is it something else ?

Likes topsquark
i don't understand how we go from here to here only.
1667853016007.png

homeworkhelpls said:
i don't understand how we go from here to here only.
View attachment 316855
Can you try to prove, for example, that$$(n-k)!k! = [(n-k-1)!k!](n-k)$$

Likes topsquark
PeroK said:
Can you try to prove, for example, that$$(n-k)!k! = [(n-k-1)!k!](n-k)$$
no i cant prove it as i don't understand how to get to this step

homeworkhelpls said:
no i cant prove it as i don't understand how to get to this step
What if you take out the common factor of ##k!##? Can you see that:
$$(n-k)! = (n-k-1)!(n-k)$$

Likes topsquark
i see the k! in (n-k)! but wheres it on the right hand side?

homeworkhelpls said:
Please quote the post you are referring to.

Likes topsquark
homeworkhelpls said:
That's not ##k!## in ##(n-k)!##.

Suppose we let ##m=n-k##.

Can you see that ##m!=(m-1)! \, m## ?

Likes topsquark
SammyS said:
That's not ##k!## in ##(n-k)!##.

Suppose we let ##m=n-k##.

Can you see that ##m!=(m-1)! \, m## ?
ohhhhhh yes because m(m-1)(m-2)(m-3)! ... is part of the expression so wouldn't (n-k)! just be n! ? (-k+n)! how does that get k! ?

homeworkhelpls said:
ohhhhhh yes because m(m-1)(m-2)(m-3)! ... is part of the expression so wouldn't (n-k)! just be n! ? (-k+n)! how does that get k! ?
It doesn't get ##k!## .

You have (on the right hand side) :

##(n-k)!\,k! \ ## to start with. Then you get the following.

##(n-k)\cdot (n-k-1)!\,k! \ ##

Now regroup (associative law) and then use the commutative law. to get ##(n-k)## to the end of the expression. Right?

They are using the brackets ##[ \ \ ]## simply to indicate what is common to both sides of the equation.

Likes topsquark
(Now regroup (associative law) and then use the commutative law. to get (n−k) to the end of the expression. Right?) i don't understand this part

homeworkhelpls said:
(Now regroup (associative law) and then use the commutative law. to get (n−k) to the end of the expression. Right?) i don't understand this part
It's difficult to help when your answer generally is that you don't understand. I think we should begin at the beginnning here. The problem statement is that we have ##n, k## such that:
$$\binom n k = \binom n {k+1}$$And we want to find the relationship between ##n## and ##k##.

As a first step, can you write down that binomial equation in terms of factorials?

Likes topsquark
homeworkhelpls said:
"Now regroup (associative law) and then use the commutative law. to get (n−k) to the end of the expression. Right?"
i don't understand this part
It's hard to get more basic than that, but I'll try. Don't take the following explanation as an insult to your intelligence .

Consider the product: ##\displaystyle \ \ a\cdot b\cdot c## .

According to "Order of Operations" you are to take ##a## times ##b## and then take that result times ##c## . We can write that more explicitly with parentheses as ##\displaystyle \ \ (a\cdot b)\cdot c## .

Applying the Associative Law of Multiplication, we can change the order of multiplications without altering the result. This is also referred to as "regrouping". So we now have:

##\displaystyle \ \ (a\cdot b)\cdot c=a\cdot (b\cdot c)##

Multiplication of real numbers is commutative, so now apply the Commutative Law.

##\displaystyle \ \ a\cdot (b\cdot c)=(b\cdot c)\cdot a## .

That explains how to go from ##\displaystyle (n-k)\cdot (n-k-1)!\,k! \ ## to ##\displaystyle \left[ (n-k-1)!\,k!\,\right ] \,(n-k)\ ##

Last edited:
Likes topsquark
PeroK said:
It's difficult to help when your answer generally is that you don't understand. I think we should begin at the beginnning here. The problem statement is that we have ##n, k## such that:
$$\binom n k = \binom n {k+1}$$And we want to find the relationship between ##n## and ##k##.

As a first step, can you write down that binomial equation in terms of factorials?
n + k = n + k + 1

homeworkhelpls said:
n + k = n + k + 1
I'm not sure how to respond to that. Where and how are you studying mathematics? If are an undergraduate student you may need to talk to your tutor or a professor about being too far out of your depth.

We can only really help you with things if you have some understanding of the material.

Sorry I can't be more constructive.

Likes topsquark
homeworkhelpls said:
n + k = n + k + 1
Hi @homeworkhelpls. Do you see any problem in posting “n + k = n + k + 1”?
Can you explain why you wrote it?

Note that there are different symbols (for the number of combinations of n items taken k at a time): ## C(n,k)## or ##^nC_k## or ##_nC_k## or ##\binom n k##. You used (n,k). But they all mean the same thing.

Likes topsquark
Hint 4! = 3!×4

malawi_glenn said:
Hint 4! = 3!×4
you mean 4! = 4(3)(2)(1)! ?

homeworkhelpls said:
you mean 4! = 4(3)(2)(1)! ?
4! =4×3×2×1 and 3! = 3×2×1 thus 4! = 4×3!

Likes SammyS
homeworkhelpls said:
I misread your answer in the above post.

Yes, you are correct regarding: ##m!=m(m-1)(m-2)(m-3)\dots (3)(2)(1)##

So that ##m!=(m)(m-1)!##.
Note that hidden in the above is that
##(m-1)(m-2)(m-3) . . . (3)(2)(1)=(m-1)((m-1)-1)((m-1)-2)((m-1)-3) . . .(3)(2)(1)##

Now, since ##m!=(m)(m-1)!## , then it follows that if ##m## is replaced by ##(n-k)## you get the following.

##(n-k)!=(n-k)\cdot((n-k)-1)!##

##\quad\quad\quad =(n-k)\cdot(n-k-1)! ##

1. How do I determine the factorial of a number?

The factorial of a number can be determined by multiplying all of the numbers from 1 to the given number. For example, the factorial of 5 (written as 5!) would be 1 x 2 x 3 x 4 x 5 = 120.

2. Can I use a calculator to solve factorial equations?

Yes, most calculators have a factorial function that can be used to solve factorial equations. Look for the "!" symbol on your calculator.

3. What is the purpose of using factorial equations?

Factorial equations are commonly used in mathematics and statistics to calculate the number of possible combinations or permutations of a set of objects. They are also used in probability and counting problems.

4. How do I solve a factorial equation with a large number?

For large numbers, it is recommended to use a calculator or a computer program to solve factorial equations. Alternatively, you can use the gamma function to approximate the factorial of a large number.

5. Are there any limitations to using factorial equations?

Factorial equations can only be used with positive integers. They also have limitations in terms of the size of numbers that can be calculated, as very large numbers can lead to overflow errors. Additionally, factorial equations may not be suitable for all types of problems and may require other mathematical concepts to be used in conjunction.