How do you calculate BTU of expanding compressed air

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
riderb
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I would like to know if there is a measure, in BTU's, of the cooling effect from the release of compressed air through a nozzle and how it relates to PSI
 
Physics news on Phys.org
riderb said:
I would like to know if there is a measure, in BTU's, of the cooling effect from the release of compressed air through a nozzle and how it relates to PSI

BTU is the unit of energy and PSI is the unit of pressure. 1 PSI = 6894.757 N/m2

I BTU = 1055 Nm

Now multiply the unit PSI by m3 i.e volume SI unit you get 1 PSI m3 = 6894.757 Nm

1 BTU = 1055 Nm

So 6894.757 Nm = 6.535 BTU
So 1 PSI m3 = 6.535 BTU