How Do You Calculate m3 and m4 in Nuclear Reaction Equations?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
4 replies · 2K views
kokolo
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Homework Statement
I need to prove that number of nucleons is same before and after the reaction.
Relevant Equations
10B(n,α)7Li+ 2.8MeV
En=0 Ek(B)=0 Q=Ek3(α)+Ek4(Li) --Q=Ek3(1+m3/m4) (1)
p3=p4 /^2 -- 2*m3*Ek3=2*m4*Ek4 --- Ek4=m3/m4 * Ek3 (2)
(1) and (2) Ek4= m3/(m3+m4) * Q, but I'm not sure how to find m3 or m4 and if this is true
 
Physics news on Phys.org
"I need to prove that number of nucleons is same before and after the reaction" is not a problem statement. It is an expression of your need. Please post the problem statement as was given to you and be sure to include the reaction.
 
kokolo said:
Homework Statement: I need to prove that number of nucleons is same before and after the reaction.
Relevant Equations: 10B(n,α)7Li+ 2.8MeV

En=0 Ek(B)=0 Q=Ek3(α)+Ek4(Li) --Q=Ek3(1+m3/m4) (1)
p3=p4 /^2 -- 2*m3*Ek3=2*m4*Ek4 --- Ek4=m3/m4 * Ek3 (2)
(1) and (2) Ek4= m3/(m3+m4) * Q, but I'm not sure how to find m3 or m4 and if this is true
What are "number of nucleons" in 10B, n, the α-particle, and 7Li?
 
Untitled.png
 
How do you interpret what you posted in #4?
What do you have before the reaction?
What do you have after the reaction?

Also, when you write 5B10, what do the numbers "5" and "10" stand for?