How Do You Calculate Proton's Speed and Kinetic Energy in a Magnetic Field?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 10K views
t_n_p
Messages
593
Reaction score
0
[SOLVED] Simple Kinetic energy problem

Homework Statement



A proton traveling at 23 degrees with respect to the direction of a magnetic field of strength 2.6mT experiences a magnetic force of 6.5*10^-17 N. Calculate a) the proton's speed and b) its kinetic energy in electron-volts

Homework Equations



For part a) I simply used F=qvbsin(theta), I got the correct answer of 400,000m/s
For part b) I used K = 0.5*m*v^2

The Attempt at a Solution



For part b) I plugged in the value of 9.1*10^-31 for m and the value of v I found above(400,000m/s). I return 7.28*10^-20 (assume this in in J?). Upon conversion to eV I find a measly 0.45eV. (The answer is 835ev!)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I had a feeling this might be it. I assumed charge of proton and electron is the same, got the right answer, so then I proceeded to assume mass was the same too.

Now if I plug in 1.67262158 × 10-27 instead, I get 835eV!

Thanks