How Do You Calculate the Acceleration of a Weight and Tension in a Yo-Yo System?

  • Thread starter Thread starter lehel
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Rolling Weight
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
lehel
Messages
15
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


a 16lb yo-yo is resting on a horizontal table and is free to roll. The dimensions are r = 4in and R = 12in and the radius of gyration about the CM is 6in. A cord is wrapped around the inner radius, the passes over a perfect pulley, and is attached to a 8lb block.

Find acceleration of 8lb block and the tension in the cord

(answers are 4.830ft/s^2 and 6.792lb)

Homework Equations



F = ma
torque = I*alpha = F*moment-arm
Iaxis = Icm + mh^2
I = (radius-gyration)R^2




The Attempt at a Solution



there are two accelerations a1 (weight) and a2 (yo-yo).

(16/32slugs)*a2 = T

I at table contact point = 90slug*in^2

net torqe at table contact point = 90slug*in^2 * alpha = T(12in - 4in)

T = 11.25*alpha and 0.5slugs * a2 = T

for weight, (8/32slugs)a1 = 8lb - T

so far, I have 4 unknowns and 3 equations so I can't solve for anything. What equation am I missing? i don't know how to find a relationship between alpha and a2 (i thought a2 = 12in*alpha but that doesn't work out right).

thanks in advance
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Consider pure rotation about axis passes through contact point. the center of mass is 12 in from contact point.
 
i found out what i was missing: an equation describing the relationship between the acceleration of the weight and the acceleration of the yo-yo.

a-weight = a-yo-yo - R*alpha.