How Do You Calculate the Force in Pool Ball Collisions Including Friction?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Bobolis
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Balls Collision
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 7K views
Bobolis
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
I have a bit of time on my hands at the moment and being an avid pool fan I wanted to try my hand at programming a pool simulation. Now I have the balls moving correctly whether they are sliding or rolling but I am having a little trouble getting my head round the collisions.

Ideally I want the collisions to be modeled taking into account the friction between balls and therefore use the conservation of angular momentum as well as the conservation of linear momentum. I have tried looking up everything I can on the subject but I can't seem to work out how to model it. Everywhere seems to talk about the collision force acting between the two balls but I can't seem to work out how I get this force. I realize that in reality this force happens over a period of time but for the sake of simplicity I wanted to program the collisions to be instantaneous. So what I am asking basically is how do I find out the force acting between these two balls? As it's a programming problem I ideally want this in terms of information that I can use, such as the balls linear and angular velocity. Hope that makes sense.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Before I try to give an answer to your main query, how are you slowing down the balls? Have you been able to give spins to the balls?
 
Yeah, the motion of the balls is working fine with both linear and angular velocities. It calculates the change in position from it's previous state change (i.e. when a force is applied to it or when it changes from sliding to natural roll) as time elapses.
 
Have a look at http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20000516/lander_pfv.htm". You may find it helpful.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I have read that but unfortunately it does not deal with ball - ball friction.