How Do You Calculate the Index of Refraction in a Light Refraction Problem?

  • Thread starter Thread starter floridianfisher
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Light Refraction
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
floridianfisher
Messages
27
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A light ray enters a rectangular block of plastic at an angle 1 = 44.0° and emerges at an angle 2 = 79.0°, as shown in Figure P22.61.
p35-71.gif


Figure P22.61
(a) Determine the index of refraction of the plastic.
wrong check mark
(b) If the light ray enters the plastic at a point L = 50.0 cm from the bottom edge, how long does it take the light ray to travel through the plastic?
ns


Homework Equations


n1sin(1)=n2sin(2) or sin(critical)=n2/n1

The Attempt at a Solution


i attempted arcsin(11/44) and arcsine(79/44) but both were wrong. Can someone please help me get on the right path?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Treat this as two refractions and apply Snell's law at each interface. Hint: How does the second angle (the angle of refraction) at the first interface relate to the first angle (angle of incidence) at the second interface?
 
I have sin(44)=nsin(theta2) and sin(79)=nsin(theta2) but that cannot be correct. I know that the angle of incidence and angle of refraction are equal. Please help I am mising something here.
Thanks
 
floridianfisher said:
I have sin(44)=nsin(theta2) and sin(79)=nsin(theta2) but that cannot be correct.
True, that cannot be correct, since [itex]\sin 44 \neq \sin 79[/itex].
I know that the angle of incidence and angle of refraction are equal.
They are related, but not equal.

For clarity, I'll rewrite the equations as:
[tex]\sin 44 = n \sin \theta_a[/tex]
[tex]\sin 79 = n \sin \theta_b[/tex]

Find the simple trignometric relationship between [itex]\theta_a[/itex] & [itex]\theta_b[/itex] by examining the diagram. Look for triangles.