How Do You Calculate the Initial Speed and Angle of a Projectile?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
maff is tuff
Messages
65
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement



During a testing program, a photograph of the path of a projectile is taken, and subsequent measurements are added to the photo (See my attachment below .) Use the information shown in the figure to find

a) the initial speed of the projectile

b) the angle at which the projectile is fired

c) the time during which this projectile is in the air


Homework Equations



v = v0 + at

x-x0 = v0t + (1/2)at^2

v^2 = v0^2 + 2a(x-x0)



The Attempt at a Solution



I know the total x distance traveled is 25 m. So (x-x0) = 25
I also know that v(sub y) is 0 when the height is 4.9 m off the ground.
It also looks like y is 4.9 when x is 12.5. (but that's just an assumption so probably wrong)
If that were true then v(sub y) would be 0 when x is 12.5

I'm just having a hard time finding initial velocity.

If I plug in what I know I get stuck

25 = v0t

Or if I use the fact that v_y= 0 when y=4.9

4.9= 0 + v0y (1/2)(-9.8)t^2
t^2 = -1/v0_y which can't be right because something squared can't be negative

I'd really appreciate some help; I feel completely lost. Thanks
 

Attachments

  • Path of Projectile.jpg
    Path of Projectile.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 494
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
oops sorry I thought I attached it. I will attach it now
 
y = yo + vy*t - (1/2)*g*t2

Don't forget to multiply the initial velocity by time! That's why you're getting strange negative values under the radical.
 
Oh ok that was the problem. Thanks, I keep overlooking these stupid errors.