How Do You Calculate the Line Integral of a Vector Field Along a Segment?

  • Thread starter Thread starter -EquinoX-
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integrating
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
-EquinoX-
Messages
561
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement



say I have [tex]\vec{F} = ye^x\vec{i} + e^x\vec{j}[/tex] and C the line segment from the point (1,4,-2) to the point (6,7,-2).I need to find:

[tex]\int\limits_C \vec{F} d\vec{r}[/tex]

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution



First I parametrize C as:

[tex]\vec{r} = 6 + 5t \vec{i} + 7+3t \vec{j} -2 \vec{k}[/tex]

Then I set up the integral as:

[tex]\int_{-1}^{0} (7+3t)e^{6+5t} \vec{i} + e^{6+5t} \vec{j}) \cdot (5\vec{i} + 3\vec{j}) dt[/tex]

is this correct so far?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
-EquinoX- said:

Homework Statement



say I have [tex]\vec{F} = ye^x\vec{i} + e^x\vec{j}[/tex] and C the line segment from the point (1,4,-2) to the point (6,7,-2).


I need to find:

[tex]\int\limits_C \vec{F} d\vec{r}[/tex]

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



First I parametrize C as:

[tex]\vec{r} = 6 + 5t \vec{i} + 7+3t \vec{j} -2 \vec{k}[/tex]
I assume you mean [itex]\vec{r}= (6+ 5t)\vec{i}+ (7+ 3t)\vec{j}- 2\vec{k}[/itex].
When t= 0 this is [itex]\vec{r}= 6\vec{i}+ 7\vec{j}- 2\vec{k}[/itex] which is one of the given points. When t= -1 this is [itex]\vec{r}= \vec{i}+ 4\vec{j}- 2\vec{k}[/itex] which is the other point. Yes, this is a vector equation for the line- although the choice of t= -1 for one of the is peculiar!

Then I set up the integral as:

[tex]\int_{-1}^{0} (7+3t)e^{6+5t} \vec{i} + e^{6+5t} \vec{j}) \cdot (5\vec{i} + 3\vec{j}) dt[/tex]

is this correct so far?
Yes, that is correct. You will probably wnat to "separate" [itex]e^{6+ 5t}[/itex] as [itex]e^6 e^{5t}[/itex].
 
and so after doing all the computation I got:

[tex]\frac{12(y^2-x^2)}{(x^2+y^2)^2}[/tex] being evaluated from -1 to 0. Is this correct? Reason I ask is because the integral was kind of complex