How Do You Calculate the Speed of a Marble Rolling Down an Incline?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
lagwagon555
Messages
59
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement



A marble of moment of intertia 2.3 x 10^-8 kg.m^2 rolls down an incline of vertical height 10cm. It's speed at the bottom is:

1.2m/s
1.4m/s
1.2cm/s
1.4cm/s

Homework Equations



Well this isn't homework, this is just a worked example question we have. Apparently, the derived formula given is

Sqrt(10.g.h / 7)

The Attempt at a Solution



The problem is, I don't know how to derive that formula. I missed a few lectures back, which I think this covers. I don't even recognise the phrase 'moment of inertia'. Unfortunately, I don't have a textbook to go over. If it's too difficult to explain over the forums, that's fine, I'll go and visit my professor. But if anyone could point me in the right direction, it would be a huge help. Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
lagwagon555 said:
The problem is, I don't know how to derive that formula.

Unless the syllabus of your course intentionally includes the calculus derivation of the moment of inertia formulas, you probably just go to a reference table to get that formula. You refer to a table of moment of inertia formulas by asking yourself these questions: What is the shape of the object? In your case, sphere. Is the object solid or hollow? In your case, solid. Where is the axis of rotation relative to the object? In your case, through the center. You scan all of the shapes and orientations in the table until you find that one, and you read off the formula that you will need.