What is the final linear speed of a basketball rolling down an incline?

In summary, the problem involves a basketball rolling down an incline with an initial linear speed and the question is to find the final linear speed. The equations used to solve the problem are the moment of inertia, kinetic energy, potential energy, and total mechanical energy. By setting the equations for initial and final energy equal to each other, the unknown variables can be cancelled out and the final linear speed can be solved for.
df102015

Homework Statement

upload_2016-5-11_17-21-27.png

The image above shows a basketball (a thin spherical shell I=⅔ mR^2) rolling don an incline of height 8.4 m. If the ball is already rolling with an initial linear speed of 3.0 m/s then what will be the final linear speed when it rolls off the incline?

Homework Equations

I = 2/3 m R^2
KE = 1/2 m v^2 + 1/2 I ω^2
ω = v / R
PE = m g h

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that i am missing some equations but honestly i don't know where to start other than substituting for ω and I.

KE = 1/2 m v^2 + 1/2 (2/3 m R^2) [(v / R)^2]

i do not think that i need the potential energy equation, but i mentioned it just incase. Also, how do i cancel out the mass and radius since they are not given in the problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have all the equations. You just need the concept. Is anything conserved in this problem?

Likes df102015
TSny said:
You have all the equations. You just need the concept. Is anything conserved in this problem?
Energy, so would i set KE=PE ?

Energy, yes. But there is no law that says that KE should always equal PE. What about total mechanical energy: E = KE + PE? What can you say about E as the ball rolls down the slope?

Likes df102015
Hint:
Total Initial Energy = Total final energy
(As the ball rolls without slipping no heat is lost due to friction)

Likes df102015
Okay so would i use the equation that i have already set up? ...
KE = 1/2 m v^2 + 1/2 (2/3 m R^2) [(v / R)^2]
And would i add PE (mgh) and set equal to ME?

Sahil Kukreja said:
Hint:
Total Initial Energy = Total final energy
(As the ball rolls without slipping no heat is lost due to friction)
But how do i set the equations up so that the variables i need cancel and everything else remains?

df102015 said:
But how do i set the equations up so that the variables i need cancel and everything else remains?
Do what you proposed in post #6 (add in PE), write the KE+PE expressions for each of the starting and ending circumstances, and set them equal.

Likes df102015
haruspex said:
Do what you proposed in post #6 (add in PE), write the KE+PE expressions for each of the starting and ending circumstances, and set them equal.
Okay i think i have it...
1/2 m Vinitial^2 + 1/2 (2/3 m R^2) [(Vinitial / R)^2] + m g h = 1/2 m Vfinal^2 + 1/2 (2/3 m R^2) [(Vfinal / R)^2]

Is this correct?

df102015 said:
Okay i think i have it...
1/2 m Vinitial^2 + 1/2 (2/3 m R^2) [(Vinitial / R)^2] + m g h = 1/2 m Vfinal^2 + 1/2 (2/3 m R^2) [(Vfinal / R)^2]

Is this correct?
Yes.

Likes df102015
haruspex said:
Yes.
Thanks! I got the right answer!

1. What factors affect the speed of a ball rolling down an incline?

The speed of a ball rolling down an incline is affected by several factors, including the angle of the incline, the mass of the ball, and the presence of any external forces such as friction or wind resistance.

2. How does the angle of the incline affect the motion of the ball?

The steeper the incline, the faster the ball will roll due to the increased force of gravity pulling it downwards. However, if the angle is too steep, the ball may roll too quickly and lose control.

3. What is the role of mass in the motion of a ball rolling down an incline?

The mass of the ball affects its inertia, or resistance to changes in motion. A heavier ball will require more force to be put into motion, but once in motion, it will also be more difficult to stop or change direction.

4. How does friction affect the motion of a ball rolling down an incline?

Friction is a force that acts against the motion of an object. In the case of a ball rolling down an incline, friction can slow down the ball and decrease its speed. The type of surface the ball is rolling on also affects the amount of friction present.

5. Can a ball rolling down an incline ever reach a constant speed?

Yes, if there are no external forces acting on the ball and the incline is at a constant angle, the ball will eventually reach a constant speed. This is known as terminal velocity and is influenced by factors such as the ball's mass and the angle of the incline.